Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Haswell Gallium3D OpenGL Benchmarks

Phoronix: Intel Haswell Gallium3D OpenGL Benchmarks

Last week support was committed to the mainline Mesa tree for Haswell Gallium3D support via the community-maintained "ILO" driver formerly known as i965g. In this article are the first public benchmarks of the Intel Haswell Gallium3D support code and the performance is compared to the classic i965 Mesa DRI driver that is officially developed by Intel for all modern HD Graphics hardware support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I didn't expect to be so fast. It seems lots of optimizations are shared with mesa classic.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Let's force them to get with the program

We do not condone or support Intel in the course of action they have chosen, and will not carry Mesa classic patches upstream.

-The Management

Comment

Nonsensical

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
        We do not condone or support Intel in the course of action they have chosen, and will not carry Mesa classic patches upstream.

-The Management
        I think this is pretty obvious(ly) a mention of Intel's recent position on Mir. But the two are not equivalent.

Intel *IS* doing their own support. Canonical is not on this same page. Canonical wants *other people* to maintain its Mir patches. Does Canonical have an employee over at Mesa? Intel does. Does Canonical have an employee over at X.Org foundation? Intel does. You might as well compare a banana with the moon.

I'll reiterate: Intel *IS* doing its own support. Canonical *IS NOT* doing it's own support. Not past the initial build. They want to support the patch, and then have everybody else do their bidding.

Second, is that a display server has much greater implications for dependency and dependence upon it and things around it; things that it must depend on. I don't see Canonical hiring a developer for the GNOME project. I don't see Canonical hiring a developer for the KDE project. I don't see Canonical hiring a developer for the Apache Foundation.(wanted to pick something that may be far out field)

The point being, is that Canonical is being greedy SOBs here. They want to build a display server(which they are free to do) and they expect to employ the open source community as slave labor. Canonical is not hiring their own developers far and wide to support Canonical's software.

Canonical has never been widely known as great community players, going back for years. Very rarely do they commit upstream. But now all of a sudden they have patches galore. Mir patches for this, mir patches for that, mir patches for the other thing, mir patches for yet another thing.

It's a total scam.

If Canonical did hire a good 10-20 programmers far/wide across different projects, I can guarantee that that would change a whole lot of people's opinions overnight, and long term it would change even more people's opinions. It would change mine.

Comment

Working...
        X