Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Iris Pro 5200 Graphics

While we have delivered tons of Intel Haswell coverage on Phoronix -- more than 100 stories on the latest-generation Intel processors and graphics written by your's truly -- one of the areas not yet covered have been the high-end Iris Pro Graphics with integrated eDRAM. We haven't been able to run any Linux benchmarks of the Iris Pro due to lack of hardware, but System76 is said to be soon sending over a review sample of their Galago UltraPro with Iris Pro Graphics 5200. In the meantime, however, a Phoronix reader has graciously lent us remote access to his Iris Pro system for Ubuntu Linux graphics testing.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HD5200 seems very compelling. If they fixed their ogl stack i would give them my two thumbs up, now they only get one.

Comment

It looks like one of the fastest Linux CPUs with open drivers. Will see if the "R" desktop CPUs are ever available somewhere, but no rush though, it still apparently needs 3+ months to be reasonably optimized.

Comment

Can the eDRAM be used as an L4 cache for the CPU or is exclusively used for the GPU?

Comment

Michael, could you include a comparator in the graphs, such as HD4400, please?

Originally posted by vick View Post
          Can the eDRAM be used as an L4 cache for the CPU or is exclusively used for the GPU?
          As far as I've heard, it's a general-purpose cache. Would be interesting to hear more about how it affects performance (e.g. by comparing to a similar CPU without eDRAM).

Comment

Looking forward to the review and benchmarks! Might I also suggest doing power draw tests with different kernels as well as battery life tests, given that this is meant to be an "ultrabook".

Thanks!

Comment

YES!!!

Originally posted by Cyborg16 View Post
              As far as I've heard, it's a general-purpose cache. Would be interesting to hear more about how it affects performance (e.g. by comparing to a similar CPU without eDRAM).

That's exactly it for me... Run a haswell with just a text console as a server and see how much that eDRAM helps vs the same CPU without when running various workloads. PostgreSQL anyone?

Comment

i want to see this vs a nvidia gtx 640M i think once the intel drivers are up to the windows level they will be around the same speed

Comment

Michael, don't forget to compare to all AMD APUs at your disposal.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                    Michael, don't forget to compare to all AMD APUs at your disposal.
                    the low/mid end AMD APUs dont compare at all

Comment

Working...
                    X