No announcement yet.

Intel 3.0 Linux Driver To Enable SNA, Support XMir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If anyone is baffled by this Attack of the Acronyms, it's mostly an Intel specific xorg.conf settings related as far as the user is concerned.
    As for the Wayland vs. Mir thing, I'm not sure how XMir support ended up getting merged first. But there's an XWayland branch for the Intel driver as well...

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
      As for the Wayland vs. Mir thing, I'm not sure how XMir support ended up getting merged first. But there's an XWayland branch for the Intel driver as well...
      For XMir there is one distro who wants to use it and for XWayland there are many distros who wants to tried it .

Comment

I'm still angry at the whole 'Mir' thing. But besides that, a manager where I work who keeps pushing for me to use Ubuntu on servers instead of Debian didn't even know about Mir and the direction that Ubuntu is heading in with Unity, Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu One, etc. When I told him about it, he had this weird, almost horrified look on his face. Then promptly shut up about promoting Ubuntu. Though his actual promotion of it was "You can just apt-get Oracle's Java7!" Uhm, no you can't...

leech

Comment

To be fair, you can, that's how I get it on my desktop. webupd8's PPA for it is very stable and quite trustworthy after running for a couple of years now... at least for desktop use, anyway!

How are desktop changes relevant to the server though, I've got no idea... You don't use a DE to manage your server, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by c117152 View Post
            It's quite pragmatic actually. XMir support is higher priority, because Canonical is going to ship their next release with all DE's running on XMir.

XWayland isn't as pressing, because XWayland will only ever run as a rootless X-server on top of Wayland, servicing X applications. Since there are no major distributions yet with Wayland running as the primary display system, there is no need to merge the XWayland support just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
              I'm still angry at the whole 'Mir' thing. But besides that, a manager where I work who keeps pushing for me to use Ubuntu on servers instead of Debian didn't even know about Mir and the direction that Ubuntu is heading in with Unity, Ubuntu Touch, Ubuntu One, etc. When I told him about it, he had this weird, almost horrified look on his face. Then promptly shut up about promoting Ubuntu. Though his actual promotion of it was "You can just apt-get Oracle's Java7!" Uhm, no you can't...

leech
              I'm not entirely sure the Mir thing is either relevant to your server install or even negative alltogether, let alone Ubuntu Touch...

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                I guess this refers to this bug?

And there is no realistic hope that you'll eventually find a
                cure by means of an undocumented GPU setup?

What is the usual way for the OTC developers in such a case:
                Do you directly talk to the intel CPU/GPU design team about those peculiarities?
                The hardware design and silicon validations teams are hard at work on the next generations, so we don't get any traction with old bugs unless we can demonstrate that they still affect the most recent generation (and preferrably the next one under active development). For old bugs like this, we can ask if anyone remembers something like it, but realistically we have to trawl through the list of known issues that were found by the validation and Windows driver teams and see if anything matches (and those are very terse descriptions with almost no explanation of the issue and often little detail as to the potential fix.) And no, I haven't found anything. At this moment in time, the only method I know that definitely works is to only let the GPU process one rectangle at a time.

Comment

wait... what's this about rendering errors in gen4?

back in the ubuntu 13.04 alphas when canonical was asking people to switch to SNA, I did and got only a few minor glitches in buttons and bars... I noticed that as the alphas progressed the glitches started getting more prevalent

but SNA actually worked OK, once upon a time, in gen4 hardware as can be proven by this video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

oh well, I guess that's another slew of old laptops that have been 'updated' out of linux... deja vu, exactly what happened to me with the idiots at xorg and the EXA debacle for old radeon igps.

but don't be sad people you can always run windows 8.1 since the gen4 windows driver is not only much faster but also glitch free

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                    but don't be sad people you can always run windows 8.1 since the gen4 windows driver is not only much faster but also glitch free
                    Actually, it is not.

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
                      To be fair, you can, that's how I get it on my desktop. webupd8's PPA for it is very stable and quite trustworthy after running for a couple of years now... at least for desktop use, anyway!

How are desktop changes relevant to the server though, I've got no idea... You don't use a DE to manage your server, do you?
                      Just running 'apt-get install oracle-j2sdk-1.7' and 'Add repository, apt-get install oracle-java7-installer then run installer script' isn't the same thing. In fact it is pretty much the same as what I had told him, though what I told him was "install java-package, download tar of java off of java.com, and run 'make-jpkg' on it, then it'll create a deb file, which you can install with dpkg -i.

For the record as well, webupd8 also has the same thing for Debian, more or less.

And ABSOLUTELY NOT, I don't use a DE on the server. Though he would love it if I did, and that is the main reason he wanted ubuntu on there, because he doesn't know how to use command line stuff to save his life. He uses vim instead of less to view logs...

My reasoning for using Debian on a server over Ubuntu goes far beyond Mir, but I thought it was funny for some person who tries to advocate Ubuntu to not know about Mir at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X