Intel Driver Gains Virtual/Remote Output Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ickle View Post
    By the point where I was comfortable writing this update, the process for using the outputs on the nvidia card was:
    0. Install the latest Intel drivers
    1. apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia
    2. Modify the bumblebee configuration to enable outputs on the discrete GPU
    [...]
    3. Run intel-virtual-overlay [which automatically detects bumblebee and requests an Xserver for the Nvidia GPU]
    Integrating the support for virtual outputs into the Intel drivers is an enormous step forward in making multi-GPU setups usable and maintainable. Before I played around with the "virtual CRTC" patch, which worked to some degree. At least until one decided to upgrade some component... So I'm really happy about having this feature readily available in the Intel driver!
    As Gentoo already has an updated ebuild for the new version, I gave it a try today following the steps outlined above. Setting it up works perfectly, including activating the screen connected to the NVIDIA GPU. The external display turns on and shows the background image of my desktop. Moving the mouse to the second screen also works, but unfortunately that's it. Whatever window I drag over to the external screen is not shown. Neither do any popup menus of my desktop environment work on the second display. No idea what's going on there.

Comment

Originally posted by oszillo View Post
      Integrating the support for virtual outputs into the Intel drivers is an enormous step forward in making multi-GPU setups usable and maintainable. Before I played around with the "virtual CRTC" patch, which worked to some degree. At least until one decided to upgrade some component... So I'm really happy about having this feature readily available in the Intel driver!
      As Gentoo already has an updated ebuild for the new version, I gave it a try today following the steps outlined above. Setting it up works perfectly, including activating the screen connected to the NVIDIA GPU. The external display turns on and shows the background image of my desktop. Moving the mouse to the second screen also works, but unfortunately that's it. Whatever window I drag over to the external screen is not shown. Neither do any popup menus of my desktop environment work on the second display. No idea what's going on there.
      Oh, that's weird. You get the background image and mouse, but nothing more. Can you please open a bug on bugs.fd.o so that I do not loose track of this whilst I think what the problem is likely to be.

Comment

Working...
      X