Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Driver Installer

Phoronix: Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Driver Installer

Intel has updated their "Linux Graphics Driver Installer" for making it easier to upgrade the Linux graphics stack on supported distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Right now, using xorg-edgers and kernel 3.10 gives me a 5.5 (yes, 550%) faster OpenGL performance as compared to the default Ubuntu 10.4 software stack. See here for details:

Technical support and discussion of the open-source xf86-video-intel driver and other Intel Linux software projects.

Note that this installer would not includet the oh-so-needed 3.10.y kernel, but a 3.9 one instead (much, much slower)

Cheers!

Comment

was about to try it until I saw "3.9.5 kernel". Why not use the latest 3.9 point release? There is a severe regression on some via audio hardware in kernels 3.9.0-3.9.5 that was finally fixed in 3.9.6 where the headphone jack doesn't work at all

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        was about to try it until I saw "3.9.5 kernel". Why not use the latest 3.9 point release? There is a severe regression on some via audio hardware in kernels 3.9.0-3.9.5 that was finally fixed in 3.9.6 where the headphone jack doesn't work at all
        I think the big problem is not using latest 3.10, at least for Haswell users - in Haswell, the performance gain is just phenomenal (see my post above)

Comment

3.10* kernels are not supported?!
          Code:
          You are running kernel 3.10.3-300.fc19.x86_64, which is too old and not supported

Comment

I'm a level 2.5 noob, so I must ask. Will anything brake if I downgrade my kernel to 3.9*, test the intel Q2 2013 stack and then switch back to 3.10*?

Comment

I really wish Intel would make it more clear that this package isn't aimed at end-users and that it's not needed if the distro already supports the GPU. I've seen too many users bork their systems trying to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Phoronix: Intel Updates Its Linux Graphics Driver Installer

Intel has updated their "Linux Graphics Driver Installer" for making it easier to upgrade the Linux graphics stack on supported distributions...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTQyNTQ
                The reason why this is great for Fedora is that Fedora strips questionable decode bits from mesa (which intel enables, I believe), and the rest to enable vaapi support which, again, Fedora has stripped out.

Comment

Due to numerous issues with the installer/repo the download page and the repo have been disabled for the time being.
                  Please stay tuned for updates on the situation. I'd keep an eye on the forums https://01.org/linuxgraphics/forums/general-discussion

Comment

Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    I'm a level 2.5 noob, so I must ask. Will anything brake if I downgrade my kernel to 3.9*, test the intel Q2 2013 stack and then switch back to 3.10*?
                    Normally kernels install in parallel, so if you have 3.10.x, and install 3.9.x, and for some reason when you choose it in the boot up window (grub) the system doesn't boot off of 3.9, you can still reboot and go into 3.10.x, so you should be ok with that. The only tricky thing with kernels is using a very alpha development version where a nasty bug might corrupt your filesystem (and there may not be a way back from that)

Comment

Working...
                    X