No announcement yet.

Intel 2.21.13 Driver Fixes Performance Regressions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any chance this gets fixed by the release?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Come to the dark side and switch to radeon No tearing for something like seven years now. Not using a compositor either (come on Intel, we exist, implement support for that already!).
      Why not use a compositor? Just helps to cover up the deficencies of X, don't have to be using 3D effects or anything like that. Also Keith Packard mentioned tearing on SandyBridge+ in his Linux.conf.au talk, said that it would take DRI3(000) to fix it so that may be the tearing he's talking about (compositor SHOULD cover up the tearing, hence ickle's first point about not using a compositor)
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Under X, a compositor is an extra level of indirection. This has been discussed multiple times already, CBA to repeat more.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
          Come to the dark side and switch to radeon No tearing for something like seven years now. Not using a compositor either (come on Intel, we exist, implement support for that already!).
          I'm working on it! Option TearFree does it, just not elegantly yet, so still work-in-progress.

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
            I'm working on it! Option TearFree does it, just not elegantly yet, so still work-in-progress.
            Ickle, in case you are still reading. What's the status of GPU overclocking? I can overclock my haswell (with a pretty current software stack) and see gains in glxgears proportional to the gain (1200Mhz ->1350Mhz). However, less trivial tests such as glmark2 actually work much slower (almost half the overall framerate) . Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
              Ickle, in case you are still reading. What's the status of GPU overclocking? I can overclock my haswell (with a pretty current software stack) and see gains in glxgears proportional to the gain (1200Mhz ->1350Mhz). However, less trivial tests such as glmark2 actually work much slower (almost half the overall framerate) . Thanks!
              GPU frequency scaling is a black art - the hardware is mostly a black box to us, we have a number of thresholds to program and then respond to the GPU's request for more or less power. What happens next is more or less up to the power control unit (which is getting more intelligent over time) and monitors thermals and power levels over the chip - and will throttle if need be.

We know that mesa often struggles to keep the GPU busy enough to warrant upclocking, but given your symptoms that doesn't seem to be the case. Rather I think it will be related to throttling, even possibly diverting power from the CPUs and wasting it on the GPU.

If we can figure out exactly what is going on, we expect to have some easy performance wins in the future. (I wish!)

Comment

Originally posted by ickle View Post
                GPU frequency scaling is a black art - the hardware is mostly a black box to us, we have a number of thresholds to program and then respond to the GPU's request for more or less power. What happens next is more or less up to the power control unit (which is getting more intelligent over time) and monitors thermals and power levels over the chip - and will throttle if need be.

We know that mesa often struggles to keep the GPU busy enough to warrant upclocking, but given your symptoms that doesn't seem to be the case. Rather I think it will be related to throttling, even possibly diverting power from the CPUs and wasting it on the GPU.

If we can figure out exactly what is going on, we expect to have some easy performance wins in the future. (I wish!)
                Oh, thanks. It doesn't have the feel of throttling, but I'm not positive. I'll try a modest 50mhx OC. I'll also try setting the MIN_FREQ to be the same as the max for testing. To me, it feels more like an intended downlocking in some code paths that have the MAX_FREQ different from the default one. I wonder if this patch actually made it to mainline kernel 3.10

Anyways, cheers for all the great work. My i4670k is working great (incredibly fast both for GPU and CPU) with Mesa 9.2git and kernel 3.10.3!

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
                  To me, it feels more like an intended downlocking in some code paths that have the MAX_FREQ different from the default one.
                  Mondays are hard! I meant to say unintended

Comment

Working...
                  X