Windows 8 Beats Ubuntu Linux For Intel "Haswell" OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kiori View Post
    Michael, you should include source games, and other steam-related efforts in your benchmarks, all those other games are not as important anymore.
    Is it possible to select a GL renderer in TF2? Otherwise this doesn't really make much sense at all.

Comment

what do you mean?

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      Is it possible to select a GL renderer in TF2? Otherwise this doesn't really make much sense at all.
      Not sure about benchmark, but Half Life like games being ported to Steam quite some time now. They don't rely on DX anymore(ok they use home written wrapper, but it will probably change with new titles). Games are themselves 100% native.

Comment

It doesn't matter squat how high a GL version the Intel windows driver exposes, or how fast it runs some random game, when it's still the buggiest thing on the planet.

Seriously, I have several valid low-level (2.1, 2.0, some even below) GL examples that misrender or fail to compile on the latest Intel Windows driver. They all work fine on Intel Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Not sure about benchmark, but Half Life like games being ported to Steam quite some time now. They don't rely on DX anymore(ok they use home written wrapper, but it will probably change with new titles). Games are themselves 100% native.
          I'm talking on Windows by the way. I know in the GoldSrc games you could select between "Direct3D", "OpenGL" and "Software", but that's about it.

Comment

Michael,
            i know its difficult to automate, i thought about that myself, steam must be a pain to work with.

But, quite frankly, even if you ran the games yourself... like, logged in, did whatever with it, checked the avg fps, then flopped over to windows and did the same... In my eyes that would already be great, I mean you could call it unprofessional or whatnot, but i really wouldn't care, i don't take these benchmarks as the holy grail, but merely as a reference of what might be.

I think general tests like that, even if just in the lines of 'here's my experience with this' would be quite nice, specially on new cards.
            And like i said, we need to know more about how the new games are doing on many setups, games like crusader kings 2, dota 2 or even CSS.

Don't try to be too sharp on everything you do, in the end we just want some information, not state-of-the-art QA certified 100% guaranteed references, cause after all there is no such thing. Phoronix is a great website, you don't need anyone's approval on any level.

Cheers, and best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Why does it perform better on Windows than on Linux?

Is it because the Windows drivers have more developers and are better optimized?
              Or is it because Windows have a better graphics architecture?
              "Is it because the Windows drivers have more developers and are better optimized" Yes
              "Or is it because Windows have a better graphics architecture?" then Ubuntu yes maybe and it's not 25 years old like the Xserver

Comment

Originally posted by Kiori View Post
                Michael,
                i know its difficult to automate, i thought about that myself, steam must be a pain to work with.

But, quite frankly, even if you ran the games yourself... like, logged in, did whatever with it, checked the avg fps, then flopped over to windows and did the same... In my eyes that would already be great, I mean you could call it unprofessional or whatnot, but i really wouldn't care, i don't take these benchmarks as the holy grail, but merely as a reference of what might be.

I think general tests like that, even if just in the lines of 'here's my experience with this' would be quite nice, specially on new cards.
                And like i said, we need to know more about how the new games are doing on many setups, games like crusader kings 2, dota 2 or even CSS.

Don't try to be too sharp on everything you do, in the end we just want some information, not state-of-the-art QA certified 100% guaranteed references, cause after all there is no such thing. Phoronix is a great website, you don't need anyone's approval on any level.

Cheers, and best of luck
                When I'm writing 1~3 articles and up to 12 news posts per day, plus carrying out other tests and programming and other work, the manual testing is too time consuming for me.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

For this i7-4770K testing between Windows and Linux, Windows 8 Pro x64 was used and compared against Ubuntu 13.10 x86_64
                  So let me get this right. A alpha or early beta Linux operating system has been compared to a year old mature Windows operating system. Don't you think the title of the article is a bit misleading by leaving out the Ubuntu version number or the fact that 13.10 is a alpha/beta?

Comment

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                    I think FOSS games won't ever be able to compete with AAA titles like Mass Effect, GTA, that have more budget than a big Hollywood movie (like more than 100 Million dollars). But it is good for simple gameplays
                    The only thing we need is an open source engine of "good enough quality" that incorporates a very powerful sandbox environment. Something like Minecraft and Outerra combined. If we can crowd source our creativity by building on a common virtual universe, the implications will be huge and quite frankly a game on a scale we have not yet seen.

Open source projects generally lack in the content creation and artwork side of things, the technical foundation is usually sound. By having every player interact in the same sandbox environment, the game content and artwork can be created by the players themselves.

This is very complex to achieve, so i think it will be something like 3 years before we are there technology wise. But i can see it coming.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                      The only thing we need is an open source engine of "good enough quality" that incorporates a very powerful sandbox environment. Something like Minecraft and Outerra combined. If we can crowd source our creativity by building on a common virtual universe, the implications will be huge and quite frankly a game on a scale we have not yet seen.

Open source projects generally lack in the content creation and artwork side of things, the technical foundation is usually sound. By having every player interact in the same sandbox environment, the game content and artwork can be created by the players themselves.

This is very complex to achieve, so i think it will be something like 3 years before we are there technology wise. But i can see it coming.
                      Minecraft-style engines would be bad, since you can't create much stuff other than cubic worlds...

Octaforge may be a good start, though: http://octaforge.org

It features deferred shading, fully dynamic lighting, HDR, MLAA/FXAA/SMAA, SSAO, LuaJIT, in-game cooperative map editing and more.

Comment

Working...
                      X