Windows 8 Beats Ubuntu Linux For Intel "Haswell" OpenGL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$
    The reason nobody fucks with Microsoft: they're better. As much as linux fanbois hate it Windows kicks ass. Totally. Microsoft is an empire because of it.
    Microsoft, Fcsk YEAH!

Comment

Originally posted by Kiori View Post
      Michael, you should include source games, and other steam-related efforts in your benchmarks, all those other games are not as important anymore.
      See: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxMzY
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I am guessing

He meant more benchmarks with newer better graphics more popular games.
        I can sign to that.
        I am not going to play those open source games no more, since commercial games are out there. Sory to say it, but OS games typically just don't cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
          Sory to say it, but OS games typically just don't cut it.
          Just to clarify, there are some nice OSS game. One I enjoyed most was UFO-AI, but frankly gtx660 is not required for it.
          However, i find steam valv games to be rather cool.

Comment

I have been running with 9.2git mesa for a while now (on a 3.10 kernel with xorg.edgers) on an i7 ivy bridge laptop and I have noticed two things:

1. There is a very significant improvement in visual effects with the latest mesa (Trine 2 looks stunning now)
            2. There is a huge increase in system tempertures (8-12 C) when running any game with OpenGL 3+ features This is especially noticable when they are set to the same resolution and basic settings and compared to the same system but running mesa 9.1

The new features do look great, but the optimization seems a little lacking at the moment. (speaking anecdotally only)
            But there is still time for optimization before 9.2 so I am not overly worried.

I am not suprised that the hasswell support is likewise as of yet less than optimal.

Comment

Just to clarify, there are some nice OSS game. One I enjoyed most was UFO-AI, but frankly gtx660 is not required for it.
              However, i find steam valv games to be rather cool.
              I think FOSS games won't ever be able to compete with AAA titles like Mass Effect, GTA, that have more budget than a big Hollywood movie (like more than 100 Million dollars). But it is good for simple gameplays

Comment

exactly my point

Originally posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
                I think FOSS games won't ever be able to compete with AAA titles like Mass Effect, GTA, that have more budget than a big Hollywood movie (like more than 100 Million dollars). But it is good for simple gameplays
                precisely my point, assets, not effects make nice game nice.
                game with shitty effects but may pretty textures will look no matter how you look at it nicer than one withbells and whistles but with 0 tetures.
                so who needs openGL 4?

Comment

He meant more benchmarks with newer better graphics more popular games.
                  I can sign to that.
                  I am not going to play those open source games no more, since commercial games are out there. Sory to say it, but OS games typically just don't cut it.
                  It's not like Xonotic with Ultra/Ultimate settings looks too bad.

so who needs openGL 4?
                  - Tesselation (better-looking models)
                  - Compute shaders
                  Last edited by Calinou; 25 July 2013, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Why does it perform better on Windows than on Linux?

Is it because the Windows drivers have more developers and are better optimized?
                    Or is it because Windows have a better graphics architecture?
                    It's the first option. Intel has two, completely separate driver teams for Windows and Linux, and each of them doesn't even know what the other team is doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                      It's not like Xonotic with Ultra/Ultimate settings looks too bad.

- Tesselation (better-looking models)
                      - Compute shaders
                      Did not play Xonotic to be honest, played it's predecessor, before split. Can't say it's too good. Lack of textures, models, overall, nice performance, but hei, i want to shoot something more than a cube model.

Tessellation is valid point, but let me guess, it's not exactly well performing on Intel machines anyway. I am guessing again, with added buginess of drivers this option is ain't that nice anymore. Prolly same goes for Shaders.

Though i don't own Intel stuff for a while.(Nvidia/AMD fellow here)

any input ont hat matter from Intel owners?

Comment

Working...
                      X