Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

???

Originally posted by CrvenaZvezda View Post
    Yes, please stop using Ubuntu. It's getting more and more meaningless to use Ubuntu to test Linux performance. Use a proper Linux distribution like Fedora or openSUSE.
    why?

fedora sucks with proprietary drivers... openSuse exists yet?

itś a non sense using a distro with few people using

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
      In the first page I see:

Plus the fact that (in a previous article) canonical will use XMir for the 13.10 for the open driver with a fallback in case you install the binary blob.
      If canonical has decided to push XMir for the 13.10 release then it is pretty obvious that they need to test it and so turn it on in the dev snapshot, isn't it?
      The last time I checked, intel provide open source driver only, so how can you sure that ubuntu 13.10 dev on intel driver do not use XMir?
      There is an easy way to be sure: drop ubuntu for the graphic drivers testing purpose.
      "Display Server: X Server 1.14.2". It's on the first page.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
        why?

fedora sucks with proprietary drivers... openSuse exists yet?

itś a non sense using a distro with few people using
        Care to back it with some facts or youre just trolling

Comment

Ubuntu have official daily's of Linux kernel. Its popular. AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers target Ubuntu specifically. There are already ppa's for X.org/Mesa test builds. Steambox will use it. All the OEM Linux stuff circle around Ubuntu. (And most probably PTS corporate users require good Ubu support)

Ubuntu is quite good choice for testing desktop Linux performance. (And Linux stand there for kernel, not userland :P)

And Ubuntu is the distro that is most likely to be first Linux desktop distro anyone new will use.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
            Ubuntu have official daily's of Linux kernel. Its popular. AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers target Ubuntu specifically. There are already ppa's for X.org/Mesa test builds. Steambox will use it. All the OEM Linux stuff circle around Ubuntu. (And most probably PTS corporate users require good Ubu support)

Ubuntu is quite good choice for testing desktop Linux performance. (And Linux stand there for kernel, not userland :P)

And Ubuntu is the distro that is most likely to be first Linux desktop distro anyone new will use.
            Until now.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              Ubuntu have official daily's of Linux kernel. Its popular. AMD/Nvidia proprietary drivers target Ubuntu specifically. There are already ppa's for X.org/Mesa test builds. Steambox will use it. All the OEM Linux stuff circle around Ubuntu. (And most probably PTS corporate users require good Ubu support)/
              Popular yet hardly profitable in enterprise environment. Canonical has habit to taking credit from other works through PR.
              OEM Linux stuff mainly target profitable entity meaning Canonical played very little role.
              Last edited by finalzone; 20 July 2013, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
                Phoronix must start using the most advanced real Linux destro -=Fedora=-. As they have a GPU-drivers PPA (debian), they must have another for Fedora (rpm).
                It certainly makes sense. I really don't care which LINUX that Larabel chooses to use, but at this point it's fairly obvious that Ubuntu wants to go off and do it's own thing. It doesn't want to be a Linux. Would Larabel constantly benchmark and use Android as his base and then still claim to be a Linux site? Technically, he could get away with it. He could also get away with using MacOS as his base and calling his website a BSD website. But people do not run around calling MacOS "BSD", they don't run around calling Android "Linux", and Ubuntu is putting itself in this same category. It's not Linux. It's Ubuntu. It's not BSD, it's MacOS. It's not Linux, it's Android. It's not Linux, it's Ubuntu.

I use Fedora specifically because of Fedora's graphics stack, BTW. So I would have a preference in that direction, but any Linux that actually wants to be a Linux is just fine.

I'll give you an example: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTQxNTc

Canonical submitted 15 patches to Mesa for Mir.

WHEN HAS CANONICAL EVER PUT FORTH PATCHES FOR MESA OR XORG OR ANY OTHER PROJECT?!?! WTF!

Now sure, I'm confident that one patch happened 4 years ago blah blah blah, so what? Canonical is notoriously uninterested in being an upstream partner like Redhat, Arch, Mint, Debian, Gentoo, and (I do honestly mean to name every one of them but I know I'll make the post unreadable). But you get the point.

Now that it suits Canonical they submit patches? WTF. They're leeches. They're parasites.

They so rarely contribute back to the projects that they take advantage of, that it was actually a headliner:
                Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And here's how it opens:

While Canonical is known -- and commonly criticized -- for not investing in making heavy, low-level upstream Linux contributions,

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
                  Meanwhile: *buntus are still the best compromise around.
                  I'm not talking about compromising. *buntu hasn't been much of a compromiser over the last few years now have they? All they (normally) ever do is take, take, take, take, take, take.

Canonical so rarely ever contributes back to upstream, that it's newsworthy items here at Phoronix whenever it does happen.

It's "man bites dog" for them to contribute. The normal "dog bites man" story is this: Yet another day, and *buntu still doesn't contribute.

Take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take, take.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                    I'm sure the direct Ubuntu derivatives would contribute, except the fact that most of them (especially Xubuntu and I think Lubuntu) both have a very, very small development team.

Whereas Ubuntu has Canonical and like 57859349534954 developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
                      maybe because is the future?!

until brings all features like windows mesa drivers will be a "little" worst than windows. the evolution says Mesa intel needs one more year to catch up windows on perfomance
                      English requires subject pronouns.

Comment

Working...
                      X