Intel Linux Driver Performance Still Slower Than Windows 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by powdigsig View Post
    Isn't Ubuntu much more user-friendly both to install and use than other distros? GNOME-buntu here . The reason I use Ubuntu's because I know that most other computer illiterate people will prefer it. I do use MATE 1.4 btw.(1.6 sucks)
    The short answer is no.

The long answer is that openSUSE has the best OS installer I've ever seen, Fedora has been and is easy to install, and Maegia is easy to install, and the same goes for pretty much any distro under the sun except for Debian, Gentoo, and Arch which is more a matter of having to RTFM more than anything.

As far as usage goes again it's not really true, the only two things that Ubuntu has going for it is it's custom package manager (which to be perfectly honest I don't care for) and Jockey which will automatically detect and ask you to install proprietary drivers. Now on the other paw Fedora has the system-config-* set which provides a nice GUI for system adminstration tasks however there's no easy tool for installing proprietary drivers which will never happen for Fedora anyway as it's again their code. openSUSE has YaST which like the system-config-* set make administration tasks relatively trivial if you don't want to play around with config files, and the openSUSE guide has a one-click installer for your proprietary drivers. Maegia again has it's own configuration tools but it does have a tool for proprietary drivers.

For all of the major distros that have commercial backers and thus can be targeted by MPEG-LA and co installing the multimedia codecs needs to be done manually it is worth noting that openSUSE has a one-click for this. As well Flash is an automatic recommended package to install the first time you run the YaST package manager module.

As far as # of Packages go as it's debian based Ubuntu has a lot of packages available to it, Fedora has a lot less however it has the ones that matter to me (I can't comment on your usage case without knowing what programs you use) between the official repos and RPMFusion, and openSUSE has the OBS which puts it close to debian in # of packages available, all available by easy one click installs and unlike any other binary distro it doesn't have the problem of repo version bouncing causing compatibility breaks due to Zypper having the concept of vendors.
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 19 July 2013, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Isn't Ubuntu much more user-friendly both to install and use than other distros? GNOME-buntu here . The reason I use Ubuntu's because I know that most other computer illiterate people will prefer it. I do use MATE 1.4 btw.(1.6 sucks)
      well years ago was but now they are almost the same except advanced distros like arch and gentoo, opensuse and fedora almost install itself like any ubuntu and both are really easy to use.

you have other easy options like chakra or mint and some more that are really easy to use too, basically is a myth that ubuntu is any easier than any other distro since most of those changes actually came from upstream not from canonical.

btw prolly after my post will come some guy named bo$$ saying "LOL fedora uses console only jajajaja you need 3 PhD to install opensuse ubuntu is bla bla bla" who is an known fanboi troll so ignore it and go and experiment a bit, you will find out most distros are very easy and friendly with very responsive support communities
      Last edited by jrch2k8; 19 July 2013, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Ubuntu is the only distribution with usable font rendering.

Comment

No, not at all, although that's something Ubuntu users frequently claim.

It's much easier than something like Arch, Debian, or Gentoo. Not any easier than Fedora, OpenSuse, or other like distros.

Comment

Font Rendering

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            By default, yes. However, Fedora with the Infinality patches has the best fonts I've ever used on any OS.

Give it a try: http://www.infinality.net/blog/infin...etype-patches/

It has a bunch of different options you can set, too.

Comment

Just use Fedora Utils to quickly tune your Fedora to useable state or use distro like Korora

Last edited by Ramiliez; 19 July 2013, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Just what exactly is wrong with the fonts under openSUSE and Fedora? They look just fine to me here and I can't say that the fonts have looked any better with the times that I've used ubuntu (to be fair I haven't used Ubuntu for reals in years and have only created a virtualmachine from time to time since with it to see what the latest madness is).

Comment

Originally posted by valeriodean View Post
                  Stop using ubuntu to test the drivers.
                  It was already proved that Xmir reduce the performance, then why you still use the worst DE for testing the drivers?
                  next time he will ask you! he is not even using xmir! wtf get a life haters..

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what about MATE v1.6 sucks over v1.4?

Comment

Fedora 19 Test's VS Ubuntu Vs the openSUSE rolling Release?

Comment

Working...
                      X