Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Has New H.264, MPEG-2 Encoding

Phoronix: VA-API Has New H.264, MPEG-2 Encoding

Intel released version 1.2.0 of libva and libva-intel-driver over the night. The updated Video Acceleration API (VA-API) now has support for MPEG-2 encoding along with new H.264 profile encoding API support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

OSS Video transcoder

Are there any OSS video transcoders that support VA-API?

Comment

Handbrake uses VA-API for Intel video encoding functions.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
        Handbrake uses VA-API for Intel video encoding functions.
        Last time I checked, Handbrake was using Intel's implementation, and only on Windows. Can you link to where this was enabled for VA-API on Linux?

Comment

Nice Improvements overall as it seems. But since deinterlacing still seems to be mostly crap with nothing more than bob available on every architecture below Haswell my not too old Intel Hardware is still a no go for my usecases...

Comment

Haswell already has Temporal / Spatial Support Deinterlacing, which is also in this release.

Edit: Have seen that you actually wrote this, by reading again.

Btw. if you want to test the BOB functionality. We have implemented it in xbmc and OpenELEC already. We also cut first and last line by blacken it. Have seen worse :-)

On Linux there is currently only nvidia that has better Deinterlacing via their vdpau API. XVBA on AMD also only does BOB - when misusing the TransferSurface function.

Some links:
            OpenELEC 3.1: http://openelec.tv/news/22-releases/...3-1-0-released
            xbmc with vpp support: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=165707
            Last edited by fritsch; 27 June 2013, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
              Last time I checked, Handbrake was using Intel's implementation, and only on Windows. Can you link to where this was enabled for VA-API on Linux?
              It isn't in Handbrake (yet). You are correct that QuickSync encoding is only being utilized on the Windows version right now (and in a beta build) and currently there is no va-api code being utilized (or OS X's equivalent).

Comment

GM45 forever unsupported

The good news is the g45-h264 branch has been updated. The bad news no changes have been made to actually enable h264 on g45. vainfo just reports VAProfileMPEG2Simple and VAProfileMPEG2Main.

Comment

I think a trivial patch is sufficient to enable h264 with the g45-h264 branch:
                  Code:
                  diff --git a/src/i965_drv_video.c b/src/i965_drv_video.c
                  index 3ac5418..992bfa5 100755
                  --- a/src/i965_drv_video.c
                  +++ b/src/i965_drv_video.c
                  @@ -191,6 +191,7 @@ static struct hw_codec_info g4x_hw_codec_info = {
                       .max_height = 2048,

.has_mpeg2_decoding = 1,
                  +    .has_h264_decoding = 1,

.num_filters = 0,
                   };

Comment

Working...
                  X