The First Experience Of Intel Haswell On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
    I don't think we'll see it in the Apple products except for the iMac, which is the perfect place for it. The smaller Apple MacBooks simply don't have the ability to use a quad-core because they are so thin that they can only use small cooling solutions and the heat disappation doesn't work well with quad-core CPUs. There are 14-inch high-end quad-core units from other companies like Lenovo and HP but they are thicker with more internal space and therefore able to handle bigger cooling solutions. That's why the quad cores are found in the 15-inch Apple MacBooks.
    It does help that the MBPs use metal housings, I don't know if they do but it wouldn't surprise me if Apple uses thermal pads on the underside of the mobo to transfer excess heat to the housing. This would likely only drop the idle temps by around 1c and the load temps by around 3-4c but that can make all the difference in the world between having a functional computer and having a brick.

Comment

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
      "Photo of Haswell cpu in a motherboard with three phases and MOSFETs without cooling"

Good testing platform...
      Actually knowing Apple they will likely get a custom version of the chip made for them, it worked for the GeForce GTX 680MX in the iMac. It's the fastest single mobile GPU in the Kepler family, but only exists for the iMac since it's too hot and power hungry for even the most elaborate 17" laptops.

No, you can't get them for your laptop, while the iMac uses MXM like cards they are not standard and won't work with any standard MXM slot even if they physically fit.

Comment

Combining the onboard Haswell graphics with a GTX 780 should work fine in Ubuntu 13.10? Any problems to expect?
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mike4 View Post
          Combining the onboard Haswell graphics with a GTX 780 should work fine in Ubuntu 13.10? Any problems to expect?
          Thanks
          Massive heat and power consumption problems. The results in the linked articles where with the Thermalright U120E cooler, not the stock cooler. Save your money and use a different non Haswell CPU.

Also, the GTX780 is a very minor improvement over the HD7970 yet costs $200 more.

So yeah, go with the latests Intel/Nvidia stuff if you have cash to burn on showing off your E-peen, since even the HD7970 only makes any kind of real world difference if you are using multiple 1080p screens, else the extra power is mostly wasted.
          Last edited by Kivada; 04 June 2013, 09:13 AM.

Comment

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu...-4770k_13.html

It doesn't seem even worth updating my 5y old coreDuo...I only wanted to speed up FSX and X-Plane....baaahh...same as Win8 not usable. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              Before you complain, 2x4Gb of DDR3 2133Mhz is dirt cheap even with a default voltage as low as 1.5v. It's not like I'd expect Larabel to kill his beer and beanbag chair budget on DDR3 2.8Ghz.
              Unfortunately RAM prices have practically doubled in the past 8 months. The dirt cheap days are behind us for now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Unfortunately RAM prices have practically doubled in the past 8 months. The dirt cheap days are behind us for now.
                All I'm hearing is whining.

$68.99 GeIL EVO Leggara 2x 4GB 1.5v DDR3-2133 PC3-17000 CAS-11-11-11-36 GEL38GB2133C11DC

Won't break the bank, has decent headroom and low voltage, ram with better timings is within $5 this is just the cheapest at this speed and voltage.

If Larabel hadn't been so stupid in his ad whoring and start attacking mobo manufacturers he'd likely get more good hardware from the manufacturers and not have such crappy mobos as the one he used to test the i7-4770K.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  Originally posted by mike4
                  Thanks
                  Massive heat and power consumption problems. The results in the linked articles where with the Thermalright U120E cooler, not the stock cooler. Save your money and use a different non Haswell CPU.
                  I thought Haswell's power consumption was less than previous models and that the cpu was well supported by the latest linux kernel.
                  Are you talking about the Haswell + GTX combination specifically?

Comment

Sorry for the necro-post. I’m looking at using a 4770K for a proxmox or bare metal opnsense firewall, and I’d like to know if indeed this 4770k did indeed have VT-D enabled? As mine most certainly does not. So it’s out as a proxmox solution and in as a bare metal opnsense. Just waiting in the i350T4. However, can you confirm or not if this sample did have it enabled? K before it did, this one didn’t, the 4770 even did, then the 4790K! But not this one.

Comment

Working...
                    X