Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Experience Of Intel Haswell On Linux

Phoronix: The First Experience Of Intel Haswell On Linux

Haswell is here, Haswell is here, Haswell is here!!! After talking for months about the Linux kernel and driver development for Intel's Ivy Bridge successor, the heatsink can be lifted today on talking about Intel's Haswell processor. For the past few weeks I have been running and benchmarking an Intel Core i7 4770K "Haswell" processor on Linux to mixed success. While the Haswell improvements are terrific, the Linux experience now is awaiting improvements.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Haswell is here, Haswell is here, Haswell is here!!!
    That might have been a tad too enthusiastic.

So Haswell is slower than Ivy Bridge at the moment? Interesting to know. Given the pace of things, it will probably take until next year to fix most of the issues and propagate the fixes to the distributions.

Comment

not debian!

Comment

well it doesnt look good

so is a bulldozer?

is a fine chip but not the super hyped chip everybody talks

Comment

it isnt that good

is a fine chip but not worth the hype

runs hot
          http://www.overclock.net/t/1396010/i...ell-is-on-fire

minor improvement
          http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7133

Comment

Spelling mistake

The is a minor error on the first page: "Intel Core i7 470K processor". I am looking forward for your benchmarks!

Comment

"Photo of Haswell cpu in a motherboard with three phases and MOSFETs without cooling"

Good testing platform...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                That might have been a tad too enthusiastic.

So Haswell is slower than Ivy Bridge at the moment? Interesting to know. Given the pace of things, it will probably take until next year to fix most of the issues and propagate the fixes to the distributions.
                Just use ubuntu with the xorg-edgers ppa or gentoo. If one uses Debian or RHEL one knows what one gets.

Comment

My point was that it will take quite a bit longer for it to become usable, compared to Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge, for the vast majority of users.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus
                    " As a result, there aren't any Linux benchmarks being shared today."

I wish I could get paid for writing non-articles too...

... this was to be expected, thank the half assed effort intel puts into anything non m$. And then they get surprised people are buying arm devices by the truckload.

" here's our cpu, it's $400 .. btw you also need a $200 motherboard for it... and a $100 windows license coz seriously if you are using linux you might as well stick with core duo"
                    Yeah, I don't think the efforts are half-assed.
                    I understand why they work the way they do, and am happy at the money they spend on linux. They realise that the near future is with linux (iow, the windows market share ain't gonna get higher), so they have been investing.
                    I'd be curious to know why power management is causing performance problems unless the problem is that it is hard to remove the proc from a lower power state in linux, or perhaps they are referring to thermal performance?
                    What makes me a bit sad is that there are some features that linux is gonna have difficulty accessing (like wake on activity from various devices like wlan). Some of that is due to other parts than the kernel, however.

Comment

Working...
                    X