No announcement yet.

The First Experience Of Intel Haswell On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, judging by the windows benchmarks, Haswell is clearly all about the mobile side

It's a decent bump for the desktop, but it only really shines on mobile.

Desktop:
    10% faster cpu
    25-50% faster gpu with the HD4600 - but that's still quite a bit slower than amd's trinity parts

Mobile parts excel with lower power use, though, and also the mobile-only 5200 gpu looks like it will start to threaten low end discrete parts. It sucks that it isn't available for desktop cpus.

Comment

I'm interested in the benchmarks. My thing, though, is fitting them into my sense of real-world usage. I'm wondering about graphics performance. Given a Kubuntu install (no Unity crud, please, and turn off Compiz) on the system, would the following perform equal to that of a NVidia Geforce 280M:
      • Team Fortress 2, using the 280M's default settings, at 1280x720 resolution (720p).
      • Minecraft, default settings and size. I get roughly 55 to 135 fps through general movement in creative mode.

Everything else I think are covered by the benchmarks, including x264 encoding.

Comment

Bring on AMD Steamroller.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Desktop:
          10% faster cpu
          25-50% faster gpu with the HD4600 - but that's still quite a bit slower than amd's trinity parts

Mobile parts excel with lower power use, though, and also the mobile-only 5200 gpu looks like it will start to threaten low end discrete parts. It sucks that it isn't available for desktop cpus.
          Yea, not to mention Bay Trail. Finally no more PowerVR even on netbooks/tablets.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
            Bring on AMD Steamroller.
            Unfortunately it appears that the only thing it is going to do is steamroll AMD even deeper into troubled waters.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Desktop:
              10% faster cpu

Did you forget consumes 23% more power to gain 10% more performance and is extremely hot so it can't be overclocked like prior generations?

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Unfortunately it appears that the only thing it is going to do is steamroll AMD even deeper into troubled waters.
                If you've been keeping up on AMD and steamroller, it's quite the opposite of what you say.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  Did you forget consumes 23% more power to gain 10% more performance and is extremely hot so it can't be overclocked like prior generations?
                  Hmm? Haswell is said to be 50% more energy efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    Hmm? Haswell is said to be 50% more energy efficient.
                    No, not at all. No one is claiming it to be more energy efficient.

After a very long and anxious wait we can finally take a close look at one of the fourth generation Core processors for desktops, which is based on the new Haswell microarchitecture.
                    Last edited by mmstick; 02 June 2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                      No, not at all. No one is claiming it to be more energy efficient.
                      Yes they are: http://www.pcworld.com/article/20396...n-laptops.html

Comment

Working...
                      X