VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
    Nah, it's always beena bad idea, it only makes a little sense on laptops since pretty much all of Intel's mobile CPUs that are actually being used in mass production hardware have an IGP, thus they can switch off the dedicated GPU. having to pass off the render from the fast GPU to the IGP incurs increased power consumption and increased latency.

On a desktop however, you shouldn't be buying an IGP system if you need a fast GPU anyways. The fast GPUs have made huge strides in idle power consumption every generation, at least for AMD's GPUs. Nvidia's not so much...
    You don't get it, do you? All this is about VIDEO ENCODING, which Intel IGPs do MUCH BETTER than discrete graphics. Geez...

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      QuickSync does not affect graphics. IIRC you can use the quicksync hw already while not touching any of the graphics stuff, or "running the encoder with the integrated graphics". I remember seeing code related to that on the VA list.
      Really? So much effort wasted by LucidVirtu on Windows, huh?

QuickSync is DONE WITH THE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. What LucidVirtu does in Windows is connect the two graphics chips (IGP and discrete) via software so they can communicate and you're not forced to switch connectors to get the output from each separately. But you definitely are using the IGP when you use QuickSync.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
        You don't get it, do you? All this is about VIDEO ENCODING, which Intel IGPs do MUCH BETTER than discrete graphics. Geez...
        The CPU does transcoding more accurately but much slower. The GPU does it much faster but the quality is not quite as good. You have a trade off, personally I don't mind the quality loss since a $100 GPU beats a $1000 i7 Extreme Edition in transcoding time.

Comment

Really? So much effort wasted by LucidVirtu on Windows, huh?
          Indeed. No need to buy their kit.

QuickSync is DONE WITH THE INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. What LucidVirtu does in Windows is connect the two graphics chips (IGP and discrete) via software so they can communicate and you're not forced to switch connectors to get the output from each separately. But you definitely are using the IGP when you use QuickSync.
          Please, don't yell.

And second, it's not done on the graphics unit, it's a dedicated video block within the same chip. There is a difference here. AMD's solution uses OpenCL, which is run on the GPU (shader units).

I guess it is nitpicking, but we like accurate terms here

Comment

@Kivada, I do not understand your point about the costs of a microprocessor with iGPU and discrete card.
            Are you recommending not to buy an Intel i7 with iGPU, if you plan to use a discrete card?
            If you have an Intel with iGPU and a discrete card, here we discuss how to get the best of both. I do not think being discussing the convenience of buying one or the other.
            Last edited by YAFU; 16 May 2013, 03:55 PM.

Comment

NVENC's quality (found in the Geforce 600 series cards) is about on par with QS. Both however about as good as x264 fast encoding option and depending on CPU being used x264 fast can actually be quicker then either solution with encoding. Where this support does come in nice however is that it provides the start of being able to do live transcoding for streaming purposes which could be used for live streaming to portable devices or desktop mirroring of your laptop display to something like a raspberry pi (much like how Apple uses it to stream OS X desktops to AppleTV's).
              Last edited by deanjo; 16 May 2013, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Also I would say it'd be nice to have free cpu cycles while transcoding. Moving the encoder into the gpu means for me that I can run other cpu intensive applications even while encoding video.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Indeed. No need to buy their kit.

Please, don't yell.

And second, it's not done on the graphics unit, it's a dedicated video block within the same chip. There is a difference here. AMD's solution uses OpenCL, which is run on the GPU (shader units).

I guess it is nitpicking, but we like accurate terms here
                  Who's yelling? You haven't got a clue. Educate yourself. We like accuracy here indeed.
                  Last edited by Aleve Sicofante; 16 May 2013, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                    NVENC's quality (found in the Geforce 600 series cards) is about on par with QS.
                    It's not even close. Check Anandtech's tests.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                      The CPU does transcoding more accurately but much slower. The GPU does it much faster but the quality is not quite as good. You have a trade off, personally I don't mind the quality loss since a $100 GPU beats a $1000 i7 Extreme Edition in transcoding time.
                      Can you read? The graphics unit integrated in that Core i7 will beat any $100 GPU in transcoding time AND quality.

Discrete GPUs are great at gaming but are poor at HARDWARE video transcoding with QuickSync.

Comment

Working...
                      X