Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

Phoronix: VA-API Gets New H.264/MPEG-2 Encoding API Support

NVIDIA's proprietary driver and the open-source Gallium3D Linux graphics drivers -- namely now the open-source Radeon UVD support -- are using VDPAU as their accelerated video playback API. Meanwhile, Intel still continues to invest heavily in VA-API as their preferred video acceleration API for Linux. An exciting set of 42 patches to improve VA-API was published on Monday...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Question:

Will VA-API work be usefull for Android? Or is it for other userlands?

Comment

Great

How about H.265/HEVC, and VP9?

Comment

I was under impression that one whom had Ivy,Sandy or newer Intel machine already had support for encoding though vaapi. I guess it must have not been previously merged or maybe to lesser extend or something.

Anyway is there hi10p (10bit) hardware decoding on the horizon any time soon for any hardware out there?

Comment

but now video encoding support is being spiced up by Intel to benefit their latest generations of Intel hardware running Linux.
          Is that related to Quick Sync support on Linux?

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
            Yea, that was my fist thought as well. Sounds quite likely. I wonder if FFmpeg will be able to make use of that. That would be pretty awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by YAFU View Post
              Yes, it IS QuickSync, but there is a lot of work to be done to allow software to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
                Anyway is there hi10p (10bit) hardware decoding on the horizon any time soon for any hardware out there?
                Nope .

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
                  Yes, it IS QuickSync, but there is a lot of work to be done to allow software to use it.
                  And I guess there's even more work to be done until we have a Lucid-Virtu-like solution to engage Intel graphics or discrete cards on a per-application basis, which is what makes QuickSync really useful for professional work.

Anyway, I've been waiting for QuickSync to come to Linux for a long time, so this is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                    And I guess there's even more work to be done until we have a Lucid-Virtu-like solution to engage Intel graphics or discrete cards on a per-application basis, which is what makes QuickSync really useful for professional work.
                    I've always wanted to know why Bumblebee technology (or nvidia Optimus) is only available for Notebooks. Perhaps it could be adapted to Desktop machines and work as Lucid on Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X