No announcement yet.

Intel Brings OpenGL 2.0/2.1 To Classic i915 Mesa Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

benchmarks have shown, time and time again, that the classic intel driver is BETTER than gallium.

every 2d benchmark, even most 3d say the same

why switch to something that is slower instead of asking intel to provide more support?

Comment

Thanks !!!

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
      Thanks, this saved the day!

Setting MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE to 1.4 in /etc/environment has made my eeepc usable again.

Now, I wonder... Is providing opengl 2.1 on gen3 based on CPU rendering? I guess so since CPU use is sky rocketing.
      Is it sensible to do so by default, given that gen3 hardware cannot be expected to have strong CPUs?
      How can destktop managers find out whether something that is advertised is in fact usable or just unbearably slow?

Comment

Having a piece of hardware for which both gallium and classic drivers exist is good

Having a piece of hardware for which both gallium and classic drivers exist is good since it makes comparisons possible.

IMHO comparing i915/965 classic and gallium is much more interesting than comparing gallium and catalyst or noveau and nvidia blobs, since this is the only case where the two drivers under comparison are both open source and controllable.

This can indeed reveal if there are intrinsic issues with the gallium architecture wrt speed as the Intel developers at times seem to suggest or if there are bottlenecks that can be removed.

Comment

Working...
        X