No announcement yet.

Intel i915 Gallium3D Driver Might Become The Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well some games might work better with opengl 2.1 support on older chips. In the case of netbooks it is still too slow in most cases but there are similar solutions are with faster core cpus too, so maybe a good idea.

Comment

as a not so proud owner of a bunch of 'ironlake' and gen4 'pisslake(?)' hardware I have this to say

FUCK YOU INTEL.

the drivers in windows7 (they also work on 8) are pretty good and allow me to pretty much do what I do without problems:

watching big ass mkv's, bluray rips, video editing... pretty much anything 2d is covered and I can also play old games without problems

in linux... get this:

the drivers are so shitty that they are gonna start using ones made by the community

and google

BY GOOGLE

OK

BY A FUCKING SEARCH ENGINE FUCKING GMAIL OPERATING COMPANY

and by dudes that just want to have a crack at making a driver

r u fucking kidding me intel?

how about porting the proprietary drivers from windows and at least giving us a choice OF USING A DECENT FUCKING PROFESSIONAL DRIVER

" well how about fuck you and no, the google drivers are good enough so use them"

how about fuck you too intel, I will buy a fucking arm laptop just out of spite

phoronix: run benchmarks on gen4 and 5 (the only ones that are still relevant) BUT FOCUS ON 2D & VIDEO FFS, as no sane person plays games on these cards, and show everyone just how shitty intel driver is compared to one made by uninterested third parties
      Last edited by Pallidus; 18 April 2013, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
        show everyone just how shitty intel driver is compared to one made by uninterested third parties
        Made in a Cave with SCRAPS!

Comment

Intel's G33 DRI drivers worked rather well on my G31 chipset on Fedora 17 before I went back to Windows. No tearing, no nothing. Only problem is that there's no hardware accel for Flash and HTML5 videos, with the latter slowing down to a complete crawl if the mouse is moved while playing in fullscreen mode (which obviously does not occur in Windows).

It will be interesting to see how i915g will perform on the same hardware the next time I put Linux on this computer again. Of course, that assumes that i915g will replace the classic drivers for any intel hardware that is not part of the Core iX series.
          Last edited by Sonadow; 18 April 2013, 09:28 AM.

Comment

What about GMA 945?

Classic or Gallium3d?

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
              What about GMA 945?
              i915g drives 915 and 945 chipsets.

Comment

as a not so proud owner of a bunch of 'ironlake' and gen4 'pisslake(?)' hardware I have this to say

the drivers are so shitty that they are gonna start using ones made by the community

and google
                The i915 gallium driver will not work with your Ironlake. For that you need i965g which is not developed by Google.

BY A FUCKING SEARCH ENGINE FUCKING GMAIL OPERATING COMPANY
                Google primarily produced i915g for Chromebooks with ChromeOS.

how about fuck you too intel, I will buy a fucking arm laptop just out of spite
                Good luck with that. ARM driver situation is typically much worse. If you get open source drivers at all, they are usually for old hardware, 2D only, no video acceleration, or all of that combined.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  The i915 gallium driver will not work with your Ironlake. For that you need i965g which is not developed by Google.

Google primarily produced i915g for Chromebooks with ChromeOS.

Good luck with that. ARM driver situation is typically much worse. If you get open source drivers at all, they are usually for old hardware, 2D only, no video acceleration, or all of that combined.
                  i965g won't work on it either, that is Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge only. Your only choice for Ironlake is the official intel i965 driver.

Gen2 (8xx) - i915.
                  Gen3 (915/945) - i915, i915g.
                  Gen4-5 - i965, with GL2 support.
                  Gen6-7 - i965 (with GL3), i965g.

Comment

this is sad... intel needs to sort this shit out

Comment

Working...
                    X