Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Still Works On Driver For Left 4 Dead 2

Phoronix: Intel Still Works On Driver For Left 4 Dead 2

While Left 4 Dead 2 still hasn't been released to the general Linux gaming public, it's coming. Intel open-source developers are also continuing to work on optimizing the Source Engine game for their Linux graphics driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Any update on the benchmarks you were planing to do with steam?

Comment

Changing from BOOL to BITSET_WORD interesting.

Finally found what it is: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/bitset/bitset/

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
        Changing from BOOL to BITSET_WORD interesting.

Finally found what it is: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/bitset/bitset/
        We're actually not using that implementation of a bitset (Mesa has its own implementation)...but it's the same concept. It took me a few reads to figure out where the speed up came from - it's the fact that Eric was able to do set operations on 32 bits at a time, rather than 1 boolean at a time. Pretty nice.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Why a dedicated graphics card?

Will Left 4 Dead 2 run smooth on a Intel processor?

Then is there any reason to buy a AMD or Nvidia dedicated graphics card?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

The Source engine has always worked pretty well on weak hardware. It's probably not the reason to buy a discrete card, unless you want to turn up AA/AF settings with high resolutions.

Comment

General speaking when it comes to gaming, you need to have a graphics card.

Onboard chips always lagged the power needed for gaming.

But how important a driver is, is proved by amd.

With the much faster hardware, they do not out perform the intel onboard as they should......

And like smitty3268, said, it depends on what you want.
              If you want full AA, and all options in game set to high, you need a dedicated grahics card.
              And a fast one, which you replace once every two years.

To give you an example:
              Serious Sam 3 on my pc.
              Amd phenom II X4 @3.2 ghz with 4 gig of ram, is fast enough but my HD 5750 with 1 gig of ram is not fast enough to handle everything on high setting. ( not on windows directX either )
              Last edited by Gps4l; 29 March 2013, 05:38 PM.

Comment

The HD4000 will be fine if you want to run on lowest possible graphics settings at 800x600~1366x768 resolution.

For everything else get a real GPU. The only reason game companies ensure their games will even run on Intel GPUs at all is the massive installed base of craptacular Dell/HP/Acer boxes out there.

The game will run, just barely, so that the player will whine online about how slow it plays only to be told they need to purchase a GPU that can actually run the game well. The game company isn't hurt, they made their sale, you just failed to meet the recommended system requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                  The HD4000 will be fine if you want to run on lowest possible graphics settings at 800x600~1366x768 resolution.

The game will run, just barely, so that the player will whine online about how slow it plays only to be told they need to purchase a GPU that can actually run the game well.
                  I have an Ivy Bridge i5 (HD4000 graphics). These statements lie in direct contrast to my experience: L4D2 runs fine on my hardware at 1366x768.

Comment

@Kayden

Will those performance fixes get into the mesa 9.1 branch too?

Comment

Working...
                    X