Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    WTF?

1. The test conditions / setup box is as always unreadably small and must be scrolled.
    2. From what I am reading there it is using an intel chip.
    3. What the hell is this "test"? It is comparing the driver implementation for intel chips on Windows and Linux. Doesn't really have that much to do with the desktop environment.
    Please try to read and comprehend the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Calinou View Post
      Don't forget the article is talking about Intel graphics, which are known for being slower on Linux than on Windows. Do the same with a NVIDIA graphics card and the performance will pretty much be the same. 8)
      Indeed -

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._nvidia1&num=5

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
        Thanks for the article. I hope in the future it will be possible to benchmark more ?mainstream? games, games from the Humble Bundles maybe (yes, some of them are slow), Valve/steam games, or popular Windows games under Wine.
        Name recognition is not the problem here - it is about verifiability. The games here are known to be solid and use the same back-ends (for the most part) on both Linux and Windows, and therefore are better for benchmarking the driver. Benchmarking a game under Wine would be a huge joke as the fact that it is not native would put overhead on Linux simply because it is not being ran natively. This is not about showing what games you can run on your Intel cards, but rather the state of the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
          Name recognition is not the problem here - it is about verifiability. The games here are known to be solid and use the same back-ends (for the most part) on both Linux and Windows, and therefore are better for benchmarking the driver. Benchmarking a game under Wine would be a huge joke as the fact that it is not native would put overhead on Linux simply because it is not being ran natively. This is not about showing what games you can run on your Intel cards, but rather the state of the drivers.
          You state your opinions as if they were the ultimate truth, but they aren?t.

Comment

You state your opinions as if they were the ultimate truth, but they aren?t.
            Care to actually respond to my "opinions" then?

Comment

It doesnt have enough benchmarks to really show the state of the drivers. It doesnt show how it performs with wine. It doesnt show how it performs with Unigine engine. It doesnt show how it performs with any steam game.

All it shows is on the benchmarks run the linux Intel driver is sometimes slower than the windows Intel driver. But that isnt what the article title says. That is not what the conclusion says.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                Well, check this out http://jaysonrowe.blogspot.com/2013/...kde-users.html . Basically it's a bad default setting in KDE. KDE should change the default. Micheal's tests shows that when the default KDE is used, it under-performs compared to the other desktops with their defaults.
                These tests were with the suspended desktop effects for full-screen windows.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Thanks for the article. I hope in the future it will be possible to benchmark more ?mainstream? games, games from the Humble Bundles maybe (yes, some of them are slow), Valve/steam games, or popular Windows games under Wine.
                  New PTS/OpenBenchmarking.org test profiles are happily accepted.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    These tests were with the suspended desktop effects for full-screen windows.
                    Hi Michael, if you'll see the top of my blog post, Martin Gr??lin who is the Kwin and Compositor maintainer for KDE told me that simply suspending desktop effects for full-screen windows doesn't have that much effect. You should try either doing alt+shift+f12 to disable compositing, or Alt+F3 -> More Actions -> Special Window Settigns -> Appearance & Fixes and enable block compositing/force/yes which will basically create a "rule" that whenever that game is started, compositing will be suspended completely automatically (basically the same thing as alt+shift_f12, but you don't have to remember to do it each time).

Once I did this, I really noticed a difference.

Comment

Here I tested 3 cards with all Killing Floor renderes on Highest. Pretty interesting I would say...

I recorded some simple demos (could add others or replace em if needed) and made a little script to select em. It always uses the default res (can only parse 1 monitor) and writes that into the default config. In the comments you see what to change if you want to use your standard settings instead. I used 1 level with nvidia rendering bugs, 1 normal speed one, 2 with speed problems.

Of course I used KDE 4.8 with Kanotix.

Comment

Working...
                      X