Windows 8 Outperforming Ubuntu Linux With Intel OpenGL Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artivision View Post
    Also there is not an exact way to compare open source drivers with the closed ones, because the closed ones cheat. If you ask me Intels_open and Intels_closed are equals. Also they share the same OpenGL code. How the hell some of you figure out that are different? Make your brain think!
    The Intel open and closed source OpenGL drivers share no code whatsoever. They're completely independent.
    Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
    Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
      The title of the article mentioned testing the drivers. Not the cards. So what's the point?

Furthermore, FPS is only a single (one of many) ratio's defining 'performance'. So an 50% increase in FPS will not increase performance with 50%.

I have no idea what this is about.

The fact that closed source drivers does not make them cheat by definition.

First you assert that closed source drivers cheat, and now you say that in the case of Intel they don't because they share some code for rendering.

I don't think that the DRM intel driver part is shared with Windows.

I just did, and you speak nonsense.

The numbers above are the real Gflops of today's GPUs. Im sure that Radeon losers don't like it. How is it possible a 3.8Tflops card to be near a 6.4Tflops one. Obviously Closed=cheating.

Intels_closed and Intels_open haven't the same source, but they share lines of code and technology. Not two different departments. When Closed one gets something, after that the Open one gets the same. They probably have different configuration, that's why the 10% difference in frames.

Comment

The numbers above are the real Gflops of today's GPUs. Im sure that Radeon losers don't like it. How is it possible a 3.8Tflops card to be near a 6.4Tflops one. Obviously Closed=cheating.
        Still don't understand your point.

Intels_closed and Intels_open haven't the same source, but they share lines of code and technology. Not two different departments. When Closed one gets something, after that the Open one gets the same. They probably have different configuration, that's why the 10% difference in frames.
        Doubt it. Did it ever occur to you that the Linux driver has to things different with the Linux kernel and the Windows driver has to do it differently with the Windows kernel? It's just not only the driver itself that matters.

And to be honest, 10% performance decrease is perfectly ok if that means I get to run Linux instead of Windows XP.

Comment

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
          Still don't understand your point.

Doubt it. Did it ever occur to you that the Linux driver has to things different with the Linux kernel and the Windows driver has to do it differently with the Windows kernel? It's just not only the driver itself that matters.

And to be honest, 10% performance decrease is perfectly ok if that means I get to run Linux instead of Windows XP.

Yes i feel the same. But don't forget: 10% decrease in FPS probably means +10% better quality. So we not actually lose.

Comment

That's like comparing the frequencies on a CPU. "How can a Athlon64 at 2.5Ghz be near a P4 at 3.5GHz? Obviously cheating."

Raw Gflop numbers can be extremely misleading, and they are really only useful when comparing products within the same architecture.

Originally posted by artivision
            Yes i feel the same. But don't forget: 10% decrease in FPS probably means +10% better quality. So we not actually lose.
            Unfortunately, that's not true in this case.

Comment

open source driver are forever just going to be FUNCTIONAL

the closed source drivers are where they invest deeply in performance and really get the good code going

don't expect intel to make a proprietary driver for linux so deal with it or buy nvidia

Comment

Working...
              X