Five Years Later, Intel Poulsbo Is Still A Linux Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still using Ubuntu 9.10

Yes, all these issues are why I'm still with Ubuntu 9.10.

Is there any interest in finding and financing a developer to write 2D and possibly 3D accelration support? I'd be fine with VAAPI support working.

There is a vaapi driver with open source (but closed firmware) for the Imagination VXD375 here:

gma500 contains the VXD370. So I guess it will be rather similar and not too hard to create.

Who would join a kickstarter project? Maybe the FSF - who initiated a project for this - might know how to find a developer?

Comment

If I understand correctly, the open source driver lights up the *intel* circuit, leaving the powervr **SHIT** completely dead. For crippling their hardware with this crap, I've permanently banned intel. The bastards can rot in hell.

That being said, as long as you don't use a composited desktop, the performance of these chips is adequate for something that is extremely portable. However, I will soon be retiring this hardware in favor of something with a qualcomm/adreno flavor. I hope to start seeing ~7" tablets with snapdragon 600 or 800. That, along with a compact bluetooth keyboard, would totally kick ass. Run circles around the intel shit, and do so with open source drivers (freedreno).

Comment

Originally posted by djtm View Post
        Yes, all these issues are why I'm still with Ubuntu 9.10.

Is there any interest in finding and financing a developer to write 2D and possibly 3D accelration support? I'd be fine with VAAPI support working.

There is a vaapi driver with open source (but closed firmware) for the Imagination VXD375 here:

gma500 contains the VXD370. So I guess it will be rather similar and not too hard to create.

Who would join a kickstarter project? Maybe the FSF - who initiated a project for this - might know how to find a developer?
        I did look at it a while ago and the problem is that the vaapi driver needs an overlay to render onto so we can blit/map that overlay into the framebuffer and automatically get any format conversion done in hardware. So I started getting overlay support up and running. But in order to map the overlay register buffer into memory (so we can play with overlays) we need to send stuff to the execution buffer. We have no Intel execution buffer (that I know of) so I face palmed and started playing with something else.

What's possible to do (based on my guessing) is that we can use the Video decoder and then do a format conversion in software and use the SGX 2D blitter (that only handles RGB formats) to move it onto the framebuffer. But that might still be too slow to be useful.

I doubt people are willing to pay for this. The hardware is just too old and nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
          I've permanently banned intel. The bastards can rot in hell.
          Then put your money where your piehole is, and ban Intel from all your notebooks and desktops too. And ban Intel from your notebook's WiFi at the same time. Go ahead. i DARE you.

Comment

In 5 years

In another five years it won't matter. Xorg will remove support. The kernel v4.0 will run horrendous on atom hardware.
            The ram requirement minimum will then be 2 GB.

Linux has a lot of problems. Opinions vary.

In Ubuntu, why is VSync always enabled in Unity? It runs like crap on everything except Nvidia.
            On by default.....
            Last edited by squirrl; 18 March 2013, 10:07 PM.

Comment

in another five years those netbooks will be obsolete. i wonder if they have "official" drivers for poulsbo for Unixes that are not Linux. Would be fun running Solaris on these netbooks just to tease the Ubuntutards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                Then put your money where your piehole is, and ban Intel from all your notebooks and desktops too. And ban Intel from your notebook's WiFi at the same time. Go ahead. i DARE you.
                That's my reason for getting an AMD (Neo)-based Thinkpad with Realtek wireless. Works reasonably well, once you get the right bits. I now have wireless that can stay up for days, rather than the pathetic showing of intel chips that need to be reloaded to connect--don't know if it's fixed now, don't know if it's widespread, but for at least half a year it was a "known issue" for iwlagn at Chico. I also have a 64-bit processor with virtualization, that wasn't affected by the SYSRET bug, and a gpu with an opensource opengl 3 driver. How much of that do you get from an Atom?

Oh, and I don't think Intel wireless is an option for Qualcomm devices like droidhacker was talking about

Comment

Originally posted by squirrl View Post
                  In another five years it won't matter. Xorg will remove support. The kernel v4.0 will run horrendous on atom hardware.
                  The ram requirement minimum will then be 2 GB.
                  gma500_gfx is an OSS driver. If you haven't noticed, OSS drivers typically tend to already have Wayland support. Also, even EMGD had experimental Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
                    That's my reason for getting an AMD (Neo)-based Thinkpad with Realtek wireless. Works reasonably well, once you get the right bits. I now have wireless that can stay up for days, rather than the pathetic showing of intel chips that need to be reloaded to connect--don't know if it's fixed now, don't know if it's widespread, but for at least half a year it was a "known issue" for iwlagn at Chico. I also have a 64-bit processor with virtualization, that wasn't affected by the SYSRET bug, and a gpu with an opensource opengl 3 driver. How much of that do you get from an Atom?

Oh, and I don't think Intel wireless is an option for Qualcomm devices like droidhacker was talking about
                    Ugh, I can't stand Realtek wireless. I had more issues with connection sputtering out when you least expect it that any other wireless chip in existance (except for Broadcom, those are probably by far the worst strictly in my personal opinion and experience). I'd rather take a Ralink chip over a Realtek chip if possible. Realtek works with the OSS driver stacks, but that's about it.

Again, as far as my personal experience is concerned, Intel Wifi chips have the best performance and stability, followed by Atheros, then Ralink, then Realtek, which brings up the rear with its "it gets the job done" calibre. It is for this reason I have acquired, at great expense, a stash of 10 Intel mPCIe and 10 Atheros mPCIe cards for use with notebooks because i KNOW they will always work wonderfully well in Linux.

The only thing that sort of soils the Intel and Ralink cards' standing are their dependence on a closed firmware blob, but I'd take a closed blob over a non-functional card anytime. Pragmatism over ideology. And to their credit, Intel and Ralink have been actively contributing their open drivers to the Linux WiFi stack, so a closed firmware is a reasonable tradeoff IMHO.

And to answer your question, my old Acer Aspire netbook uses an Atom paired with an Intel GMA950 onboard GPU. So no poulsbo issues here. And I get superior battery life over an AMD equivalent (albeit much lesser [4 hours] than what I could squeeze out under Windows [6+ hours]). Since my netbook is really just to edit and shoot off the occasional word document and net surf while on the move, battery life takes precedence over processing power.
                    Last edited by Sonadow; 19 March 2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      The fuck is your problem?
                      You can't read or something?

Comment

Working...
                      X