No announcement yet.

Intel Comes Up With A Linux Graphics Driver Installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This strikes me as at best, a waste of effort, and at worst, a bad idea.

For Fedora 18 it appears to consist of only libva-intel-driver, which is in rpmfusion anyway, although of course neither is going to be the g45-h264 branch.

Comment

Originally posted by ejs1920 View Post
      This strikes me as at best, a waste of effort, and at worst, a bad idea.

For Fedora 18 it appears to consist of only libva-intel-driver, which is in rpmfusion anyway, although of course neither is going to be the g45-h264 branch.
      I guess it could serve a purpose on distros that have more outdated packages, but yeah on fedora 18 its basically useless

Comment

I dont get it. I thought the distro was in charge of drivers upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
          I dont get it. I thought the distro was in charge of drivers upgrades
          Most distros don't upgrade drivers until the next regular distro release. Some distros however have alternative repositories where updates can be retrieved for the current release but there is usually a bit of a delay before those packages are available.

Comment

Meh, I don't see anything wrong with using portage.

Comment

This will be nice for fedora users where all the bits needed to get vaapi can be working can be a bit hard to get.
              ...I really wish Fedora would offer an equivalent to ppas (or better yet, OBS). Fedora People Repos are not it (too restrictive).

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                I guess it could serve a purpose on distros that have more outdated packages, but yeah on fedora 18 its basically useless
                As someone on F18, I'm going to disagree. I've never managed to get vaapi working, and I've suspected it's due to Fedora stripping out some applicable bits in the kernel driver.
                Also, this lets you get updated a bit faster

Comment

I told you it would happen: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...fication&num=1

There are some major issues still, especially since apparently full packages for mesa, libva, cairo, libwayland, libdrm are needed. Sometimes even llvm-libs and a new kernel.

But at least intel/collabora are owning up that this is the way to go, but they are having to use crutches still. But mindset is slowly changing, and in time, my once not so much welcomed views will be the law.

Comment

As reported elsewhere for Ubuntu x64 there are multiarch issues and it seems to bork the installation. On both my x64 12.04 LTS and 12.10 it managed to make the touchpad dysfunctional after it updated the drivers. Also it doesn't update to the latest edition of vaapi drivers on both the distros.

Its an excellent idea to begin with as it upgrades LTS distro to the latest video driver without much trickery. Hopefully Intel will sort out the issues and I can get it to work on Ubuntu x64. OTOH oibaf-ppa works swell.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                      ...I really wish Fedora would offer an equivalent to ppas (or better yet, OBS). Fedora People Repos are not it (too restrictive).
                      Blame US patent laws and high risk for being a target for patent trolls in USA. =(

Comment

Working...
                      X