X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    "QML Crap" ? Its even easier to create user-interfaces, they automatically scale to smaller displays, you can do everything you could with QtWidgets, its automatically hardware accelerated, platform independent because its written in javascript, and carries ZERO legacy cruft.
    QML is optimized for small touch screens, not for desktop applications.
    It isn't hard to create GUI for desktop application in Qt Designer.
    Qt4 and GTK are also hardware accelerated.
    Javascript is one of worst programming languages.
    It isn't possible to write QML applications in C++11, which is best programming language for desktop applications.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisXY
    replied
    Ivy Bridge here, but perhaps it's similar enough.

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    GtkPerf seam to favour UXA on Gen5/6. Bug or feature ?
    With git master and sna gtkperf was 3.x seconds two days ago (before http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMxMjU), but now it's 6+ seconds with kwin opengl compositing. It's probably only temporary.

Leave a comment:

• Ericg
    replied
    Originally posted by JS987 View Post
    Exactly. Morons from Nokia/Digia/whatever want force QML crap after crippling Widgets.
    "QML Crap" ? Its even easier to create user-interfaces, they automatically scale to smaller displays, you can do everything you could with QtWidgets, its automatically hardware accelerated, platform independent because its written in javascript, and carries ZERO legacy cruft.

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I don't think you're supposed to use QPainter at all anymore in Qt5. They want you to use QML on top of an OpenGL scene graph instead.
    Exactly. Morons from Nokia/Digia/whatever want force QML crap after crippling Widgets.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by liam View Post
    What's going on? Are they having development issues? Dropping those backends, like Coregraphics, seems like it would make it harder to target specific platforms natively.
    I don't think you're supposed to use QPainter at all anymore in Qt5. They want you to use QML on top of an OpenGL scene graph instead.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Qt5 has limited opengl backend, but QPainter can't use it.
    http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2012/04/03/qt-5-alpha/
    What's going on? Are they having development issues? Dropping those backends, like Coregraphics, seems like it would make it harder to target specific platforms natively.

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    Gah! You're right. I reversed ends
    Are you sure qt5 dropped the opengl backend?
    Qt5 has limited opengl backend, but QPainter can't use it.

The QWidget based stack continues to work as in Qt 4.x, based on QPainter. QPainter does however support less backends than it used to. It is now limited to SW rasterization (Raster backend) for drawing to the screen, pixmaps and images, an OpenGL backend for GL surfaces and a backend for PDF generation and printing. The platform dependent backends using X11 or CoreGraphics are gone.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    Qt doesn't have cairo backend, but cairo has Qt backend.
    Qt4 has native (X11), raster and opengl backend.
    Qt5 has only raster backend.
    Gah! You're right. I reversed ends
    Are you sure qt5 dropped the opengl backend?

Leave a comment:

• JS987
    replied
    I'm curious why QT has been affected less than cairo with the transition.
    I would imagine that ickle has a nice test suite and uses that a basis (the test suite being heavy with cairo), perhaps, along with general architectural improvements. However, I wonder if the qt 2d library (sorry, I forgot what it's called) has been designed to be less sensitive to driver issues (i.e., targets the minimum features one should expect from any driver). Since qT has a cairo backend (perhaps not well maintained, but should still be present), I wonder how that could fare.
    Qt doesn't have cairo backend, but cairo has Qt backend.
    Qt4 has native (X11), raster and opengl backend.
    Qt5 has only raster backend.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied
    I'm curious why QT has been affected less than cairo with the transition.
    I would imagine that ickle has a nice test suite and uses that a basis (the test suite being heavy with cairo), perhaps, along with general architectural improvements. However, I wonder if the qt 2d library (sorry, I forgot what it's called) has been designed to be less sensitive to driver issues (i.e., targets the minimum features one should expect from any driver). Since qT has a cairo backend (perhaps not well maintained, but should still be present), I wonder how that could fare.
    Something I just noticed is that gtk doesn't seem to have a testing suite. There looks like there is an abandoned one in sourceforge (that is the one michael uses), but not an official one. How sad is that? This is very similar to the general problems with gnome testing (although that is at least being addressed somewhat with complete unit testing and sanity checks). I suppose the problem is lack of manpower and interest. Similar to the documentation crisis
    Last edited by liam; 27 February 2013, 03:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X