X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by GT220 View Post
    Nvidia has supported ES3 since last year, MONTHS before any open source driver supports it.

Nvidia's OpenGL support is unmatched in the industry. No other vendor or open source even supports OpenGL 4.3, Nvidia has since last year.
    1) OpenGL compatibility extensions for ES3 DO NOT MEAN FULL OPENGL ES COMPLIANCE.
    Only that you can use syntax from ES in your normal OGL code.

2) To pass conformance test you NEED to provide sole ES 3.0 context. Do not know if Nvidia allow for creating pure ES 3.0 context.
    Nvidia may be "leader" but they have their weaknesses (blurred boundaries between proper OGL and "lets make it work!", OGL implementation slower than DX versions, etc.)

And if Nvidia wanted they would submit ES 3.0 on their desktop drivers. They don't so most probably you can not use "just" ES 3.0 on those...

Leave a comment:

• GT220
    replied
    Originally posted by foobaz View Post
    there are no ES 3 drivers for Nvidia hardware yet.
    Nvidia has supported ES3 since last year, MONTHS before any open source driver supports it.

GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility
    GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility
    Nvidia's OpenGL support is unmatched in the industry. No other vendor or open source even supports OpenGL 4.3, Nvidia has since last year.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Image Technologies PowerVR 6 has full OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance via Khronos.org. That stack will be in all the iPads and competitors while Intel's embedded strategy will continue to die slowly on the vine.
    No, it is Intel who is the runner up here.
    Imageon Technologies their PowerVR has been here for a long time.
    Intel also used to be using PowerVR.
    But now Intel ditched PowerVR and is developing their own graphics in-house.
    Intel don't need PowerVR. With Intel you at least get open source graphics, that you don't get with PowerVR.

Intel's embedded strategy seems to be a long-term goal, and they're slowly going in that direction.

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Image Technologies PowerVR 6 has full OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance via Khronos.org. That stack will be in all the iPads and competitors while Intel's embedded strategy will continue to die slowly on the vine.
    Intel also has full OpenGL ES 3.0 compliance via Khronos.org...
    (And that mean that when Intel released mobile offerings with their GPU those will also be OpenGL ES 3.0 comliant)

In fast Intel submitted their test results not more than 1 month after Image Technologies :P

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    Considering how many developers Intel employs, I'm sure they could allocate time for one of them to work on Ironlake if they really wanted. It's not so much about manpower, it's about priorities. Yeah, they're working on Haswell and ValleyView, which is great (I intend to buy a ValleyView netbook), but those two won't be on the market for a few months still, while Ironlake is being used now.
    Yes Intel have much more devs than AMD currently, but it do not mean that they can sustain hardware enablement for next gen, feature developement for next & current, and R&D (glamour, SNA, whatever), and support each and every previous generation. Well, they do for some of the work at least (e.g.SNA). But not for everything.

Their Windows team is around 100 people for GPU driver (or so I heard), compare it to 20 for Linux side of things.

Leave a comment:

• deanjo
    replied
    Now only if they could fix VA-API, then I could get rid of the GT-520's in the HTPC's.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    I hope to see OpenGL ES 3.0 support for Nvidia and AMD too!

Leave a comment:

• Gusar
    replied
    Originally posted by przemoli View Post
    Intel (as company) do not have any interest in NOT supporting Ironlake advancment. It's more manpower shortage.
    Considering how many developers Intel employs, I'm sure they could allocate time for one of them to work on Ironlake if they really wanted. It's not so much about manpower, it's about priorities. Yeah, they're working on Haswell and ValleyView, which is great (I intend to buy a ValleyView netbook), but those two won't be on the market for a few months still, while Ironlake is being used now.

Leave a comment:

• przemoli
    replied
    Originally posted by Gusar View Post
    This!

Ironlake is capable of OpenGL 3 (not sure about ES 3, probably not), but Intel has no interest to make it happen. At least they're upfront about it: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=59187#c1
    It's not actually true what you say.

Intel (as company) do not have any interest in NOT supporting Ironlake advancment. It's more manpower shortage.

I can not imagine any troubles Intel would give anyone from community to develop needed code (in fact I think Intel employes would help as much as time would allow). And docs are already there.

But that is fate of hardware that is already on market when driver dev team still play catch up on the "current" and "next generation" front.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X