Intel Shafting Linux Users With Clover Trail: No Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    no actually I don't install drivers since the rom's you use are for that specific model.
    Now ask yourself why they're "for that specific model". You personally didn't install any driver, but someone did. The person who made the package you downloaded took all the blobs from the original ROM and put it in that package. And believe me, they had "fun" doing that. Sometimes crazy hacks are needed, like binary patching.

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
    but the proprietary drivers if they work on android they work on linux too, right?
    No. Android doesn't use X. Then there's some other reasons why they don't work, but that would be the biggest.

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
      This time they've monopolized Intel's engineering time, preventing their competitors from even developing products in the first place.
      Intel put their resources where they can make the most money. Sorry, but I fail to see the problem here.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
        Intel put their resources where they can make the most money. Sorry, but I fail to see the problem here.
        Problem already discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
          No, you don't do that, especially when recent history has proven otherwise (Poulsbo). If you do that, then you're lazy and/or ignorant. Just because you want hardware decisions to be so simple that you can go to a store (where Linux is probably a foreign concept to employees) and buy something based on a shiny sticker and a vague "brand name" concept, doesn't mean that's how it is. IIRC, you made the same argument back in a Poulsbo/Cedarview discussion, and I can kind of see how a non-techie could get swindled. However, there's no excuse this time. If Intel fooled folks once, shame on Intel. If the folks get fooled again...
          Hi. When I bought my tablet, I didn't know that Oak Trail translates to GMA600 which translates to Poulsbo which translates to poor driver support, because that is not information that is easy to find. And confusing to begin with.

That said, the OSS driver (gma500_gfx) has improved a lot lately. Bug fixing is fast, too. I'll have to test the next kernel once I have some time to do so.

Comment

Working...
          X