• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
    The list of hardware that is OFF my list of consideration;
    Anything made by intel (and I do mean "anything"),
    Anything made by nvidia,
    Anything with powervr crap in it.

Explanation;
    intel because they snuck out powervr crap after a history of support for open source, and now they keep selling it. Its one thing if you're an obscure vendor, but if you're one of the two biggest CPU vendors in the world, you have a responsibility for producing parts that work for everyone, and you have a responsibility for MAKING IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR if it won't (which they didn't do with poulsbo). Powervr for LETTING intel pull this sh**. Nvidia for once pretending to provide rudimentary support for open source and pulling the plug on it.

Though I prefer fully open source drivers for all hardware I use, I can at least ACCEPT closed source IF the vendor actually works with open source operating systems to provide acceptable support, and if they at least ATTEMPT to push out SOMETHING open source that could actually assist in generating proper open source support. Qualcomm remains at the top of my list for closed source GPU drivers (Adreno) coupled with ARM chips.

My next PHONE will be an A15+Adreno. Snapdragon S4.
    The list of hardware that is ON my list of consideration:
    Stuff that works.

Comment

So you're telling me....

With all of the constant criticism AMD gets from you all for not doing enough to help the COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED driver developers get 4 generations of Radeon on par with Catalyst, now Intel blantantly gives Linux the finger by picking PowerVR when there are better alternatives, and you all are OK with that?

Imagine this: AMD Announces No Open Source Support for Kaveri APUs

Immediately the Phoronix lynch-mob(none of whom had any intention of purchasing said APU anyways) would immediately draw and quarter Bridgman for crimes against Linux.

Hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
        What exactly Intel won't support on Linux?

They've been doing really well lately on Linux.

WTF?
        1) Buy an Intel mobo (z77)

2) Install latest firmware

3) Try Booting UEFI linux

4)????????

5) Profit.

Bonus) Have support tell you that they probably won't fix it because they don't support linux on this motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by bornslippy View Post
          With all of the constant criticism AMD gets from you all for not doing enough to help the COMMUNITY-MAINTAINED driver developers get 4 generations of Radeon on par with Catalyst, now Intel blantantly gives Linux the finger by picking PowerVR when there are better alternatives, and you all are OK with that?

Imagine this: AMD Announces No Open Source Support for Kaveri APUs

Immediately the Phoronix lynch-mob(none of whom had any intention of purchasing said APU anyways) would immediately draw and quarter Bridgman for crimes against Linux.

Hypocrites.
          'Erm, I don't think so. Intel seems to be doing far more with open-source than AMD is right now. They're working closer with Valve and talking about things such as a multi-threaded OpenGL dispatcher for Mesa.. Things that are important to gaming. AMD sat on their Catalyst drivers for YEARS while also having an open source team, yet nobody at AMD ever mentioned that Mesa was missing this very important piece of technology for gaming performance while both AMD's and nVidia's proprietary drivers had it? And now it looks like Intel is going to be the one to bring it to Mesa and not AMD or nVidia who were the first to make this kind of tech 5+ years ago? wow... How can you have so much love for AMD and not Intel?

Not to mention, Intel is pretty much the sole-reason for Mesa 9.0 being released so early. Intel's drivers hit an OpenGL milestone which forced the version bump. They already beat AMD to higher levels of OpenGL compliance and they haven't been working on Open Source drivers nearly as long as AMD has.

Let's also not forget, that thanks to Intel.. For the first time *EVER*... Mesa is now OpenGL certified.. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE2NDg AMD had an open source team for ages, yet they never cared to help Mesa get a single official OpenGL certification?

Not that I don't like AMD, certainly I would buy AMD for all my high performance graphics needs.... But still, Intel is the open-source all star for Q4 2012, you have to admit. Just because some little division at Intel does something naughty, doesn't change the fact that their other divisions have accomplished so much.

This PowerVR Intel chip is for tablets/netbooks.. Really, I don't think many people care as Android+ARM is better for tablets and AMD Fusion is better for netbooks.
          Last edited by Sidicas; 14 September 2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
            AMD Fusion is better for netbooks.
            OK, since you agree that AMD has no competition from Intel Atom in the netbook space. Imagine this headline:

AMD Announces No Open Source Support for Jaguar Netbook/Tablet APUs

AMD wouldn't have an army of apologists in the Phoronix thread like Intel does now, people would be calling for their destruction. Then again, most large corporations now hire PR companies to spin things in their favor in comments sections and internet forums, it's entirely possible that half of the apologists are actually shills getting paid to spin this article...

Comment

Originally posted by frantaylor View Post
              This time they've monopolized Intel's engineering time, preventing their competitors from even developing products in the first place.
              I think Intel is just doing this to have a SoC that's engineered for just Windows 8 as a way to keep MS happy, while still coming out with another Atom processor that will have great Linux support and by then there'll be a graphics core that's developed in-house that will be supported in Linux.

Comment

Then again, most large corporations now hire PR companies to spin things in their favor in comments sections and internet forums, it's entirely possible that half of the apologists are actually shills getting paid to spin this article...
                I think you are vastly overestimating the importance of Phoronix forums. Intel covert guerilla marketing can be observed on investors' boards and perhaps the forums/comments section of some high-profile review websites. ROI for doing so here would be close to nil.

Comment

AMD wouldn't have an army of apologists in the Phoronix thread like Intel does now, people would be calling for their destruction. Then again, most large corporations now hire PR companies to spin things in their favor in comments sections and internet forums, it's entirely possible that half of the apologists are actually shills getting paid to spin this article...
                  So you are right, it's just that because of a conspiracy, your voice is not being heard. There's a medical condition for that.

Comment

What's the motivation?

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
                    as a way to keep MS happy
                    Is this a legitimate business strategy or a flailing attempt by you to say something relevant?

WHAT EXACTLY WOULD THE POINT BE in "making MS happy"???

Intel knows FULL WELL that Windows is TOO BLOATED for effective performance on ARM. MS is STUCK with Intel whether they like it or not. Intel doesn't have to lift a finger to get LOTS of Microsoft business for YEARS AND YEARS.
                    Last edited by frantaylor; 14 September 2012, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                      Anything made by intel (and I do mean "anything").
                      Intel is the ONLY company that makes decent gigabit ethernet chips

Feel free to suffer crappy network performance if that's what you want.

In the meantime the rest of us can enjoy GREAT performance AND AN OPEN SOURCE DRIVER.

TOO BAD FOR YOU.

Even a proper AMD motherboard has INTEL networking. Look at the Supermicro line.
                      Last edited by frantaylor; 14 September 2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X