No announcement yet.

Intel Shafting Linux Users With Clover Trail: No Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If someone knows exactly that using certain technology will result in sales reduction and negative karma, why the hell choose it then ?!

Is fired AMD marketing folk migrated to Intel ?!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      If someone knows exactly that using certain technology will result in sales reduction and negative karma, why the hell choose it then ?!

But it doesn't result in sales reductions, that's the whole point. It's just good enough for intel even w/o linux support. Most likely they figured it would cost them more to use something else adn add linux support then just forgetting about linux altogether. Ok, so maybe there are some lost sales, but no lost profit.

Comment

If you're already a Linux user, and you buy a product with a PowerVR chip, then you didn't do any homework, and you probably deserve to run the vesa driver and/or tear your hair out trying to get the native resolution.

The only people I feel sorry for are those who don't currently use Linux, and try it after purchasing the product.

Comment

that's not quite correct DanL

You see, lots of people have used Linux, and used it well on atom's n450 etc etc etc...

In fact, when you see "Intel processor with intel integrated graphics" on the store you take it that it's going to run well under linux unlike when you see "amd with radeon hf3rh93"

HEAR YE HEAR YE

Let the linux community all jump ship to C A15

A beast of a cpu and good integrated graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post

Because it's not obvious that it will result in sales reduction. The hardware is going to be sold with Windows 8, only. If you want to run Linux on it, then you're going to be counted as a Windows 8 user if you buy the hardware. It's simple, just don't buy the hardware. Then companies will just blame the lack of sales on how much Windows 8 sucks. That's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post

A beast of a cpu and good integrated graphics.
              Last I heard the ARM Mali wasn't open source either, and a lot of vendors that went with the Cortex A15 paired it with nvidia graphics or PowerVR, both of which aren't open source.. Intel's other mobile CPU that has Intel integrated graphics is a much better choice, open source to the core.

Comment

Simple, people will just use ARM code, ARM hardware. Let Intel put all the eggs with dying Microsoft.

Comment

Yeah, unfortunately Valley View is still more than a year away. Products based on it are not expected before early 2014. I think at least Intel is being honest, obviouly they cannot miss the Win8 lauch, so they had to put something out, and it had to be PowerVR.

Valley View seems to be a great little chip, first ooo atom, gen graphics, it is just a shame it is so late. It would be even better if it is released with an unlocked bootloader. Maybe Google/Motorola will pick them up for Nexus devices at the time. Seems to be the perfect pick, for a device with really fast android updates.

What I am curious about is if it is coming to phones. So far they are mentioning only generic form factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
                    Last I heard the ARM Mali wasn't open source either, and a lot of vendors that went with the Cortex A15 paired it with nvidia graphics or PowerVR, both of which aren't open source.. Intel's other mobile CPU that has Intel integrated graphics is a much better choice, open source to the core.
                    The list of hardware that is OFF my list of consideration;
                    Anything made by intel (and I do mean "anything"),
                    Anything made by nvidia,
                    Anything with powervr crap in it.

Explanation;
                    intel because they snuck out powervr crap after a history of support for open source, and now they keep selling it. Its one thing if you're an obscure vendor, but if you're one of the two biggest CPU vendors in the world, you have a responsibility for producing parts that work for everyone, and you have a responsibility for MAKING IT ABSOLUTELY CLEAR if it won't (which they didn't do with poulsbo). Powervr for LETTING intel pull this sh**. Nvidia for once pretending to provide rudimentary support for open source and pulling the plug on it.

Though I prefer fully open source drivers for all hardware I use, I can at least ACCEPT closed source IF the vendor actually works with open source operating systems to provide acceptable support, and if they at least ATTEMPT to push out SOMETHING open source that could actually assist in generating proper open source support. Qualcomm remains at the top of my list for closed source GPU drivers (Adreno) coupled with ARM chips.

My next PHONE will be an A15+Adreno. Snapdragon S4.

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
                      What exactly Intel won't support on Linux?

They've been doing really well lately on Linux.

WTF?
                      Sounds to me that Intel just sloppily put some hardware together using PowerVR just to have something "new" for the Windows 8 launch. It's probably not going to even matter considering that most people expect Windows 8 to suck as bad as Vista did.. Intel probably knows this and that's why they're not really putting much effort into this hardware, and are depending on other companies (PowerVR) for the graphics.

Again, this is hardware that I don't care about being released by a division of Intel that I don't care about. Intel still has their Open Source Labs and their Desktop/Laptop CPU lineups that are all open source so I still have a lot of reason to buy Intel over AMD/nVidia.
                      Last edited by Sidicas; 14 September 2012, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X