Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nico342
    replied
    What about sandy bridge ? Did it improve as well ?

Leave a comment:

• orome
    replied
    Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    If you take a look at the description and system specs in the linked results, you'll see that the comparison you're looking at is with the 3.4.0 kernel and is 3 months old. Given the amount of improvement between the 3.4 and 3.6 kernels, the Linux performance might be equal to, or higher than, the windows performance on those machines now for those chips.
    take lightsmark test on i7:
    improvement from 3.4 to 3.6 in Micheal's test is 42->57 FPS (1.35x)
    interpolating the linked results would give 77.3FPS vs. 85.1FPS (i7 Linux vs. Windows)

still lower, but pretty close. so kudoz to intel developers

Leave a comment:

• roughl
    replied
    Originally posted by imamdxl View Post
    Still slower than Windows driver

this is pretty upsetting even with open source drivers and with all the collaborations, performance can not be excelled against Windows driver.
    Its not slower in every benchmark: http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...fc89be48b2e792

Leave a comment:

• roughl
    replied

this is pretty upsetting even with open source drivers and with all the collaborations, performance can not be excelled against Windows driver.
    Its not slower in all cases: http://openbenchmarking.org/prospect...fc89be48b2e792

Leave a comment:

• Veerappan
    replied

If you take a look at the description and system specs in the linked results, you'll see that the comparison you're looking at is with the 3.4.0 kernel and is 3 months old. Given the amount of improvement between the 3.4 and 3.6 kernels, the Linux performance might be equal to, or higher than, the windows performance on those machines now for those chips.

Leave a comment:

• imamdxl
    replied

Windows driver does best what it supports even with fewer OpenGL extensions as well as almost no bugs when running games (even they use hecks to satisfy the specs but users look for end results).

Where Linux driver adding more and more extensions, slower, continuesly breaking one game or another while improving

I can not play Amnesia the Dark Descent anymore with Mesa 8, 8.1, git. The last Mesa for running Amnesia the Dark Descent properly was 7.11.2.

Features like point sprites is broken for gen4 from the beginning of Mesa and still not fixed

Leave a comment:

• archibald
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Michael, you should mention what is "gen4" in normal people speak. Not everyone has an Intel decoder chart tattooed across their chest
    I believe the GMA 4500 is the start of Gen4 though I did need to spend a while trawling wikipedia to find this out :-)

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Michael, you should mention what is "gen4" in normal people speak. Not everyone has an Intel decoder chart tattooed across their chest

Leave a comment:

• archibald
    replied
    Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    Why is the FPS so much lower in OpenArena 0.8.8 than in 0.8.5?
    It has more advanced shaders and sparkly things (can you tell that I'm not au fait with the nitty gritty details?).

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    OpenArena performance

Why is the FPS so much lower in OpenArena 0.8.8 than in 0.8.5?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X