Intel Continues Gaining Ground For Linux Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
    I wouldn't want to pay the Apple tax either...............
    If an Air is the same price as a comperable ultrabook, I would probably get the Air. Apples hardware is pretty nice, and then you could run pretty much any OS out there.

All that aside, I'm pretty happy with my HD 3000 graphics. I guess we will see how much that will change when Steam arrives and I fire up TF2 again.

Comment

It should count AMD + ATI as only one company

The graph is misleading because it shows ATI as a separate company. The numbers for AMD and ATI should be summed together and that would probably bring it to above Nvidia.

So, Intel is NOT ?Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts?, it is winning over AMD, as AMD was the leader and is now the second place (Nvidia is now the third).

Comment

Or you could get an ultra slim with Ubuntu preloaded - https://zareason.com/shop/UltraLap-430.html

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Tbh I can see myself buying a Intel Haswell ultrabook in 2013.
          Just make sure you read the fine-print of those ultrabooks.. A lot of the ones on the market have a keyboard that is absolutely horrible for any extended typing / programming use..

The intel graphics is nice, and Intel is certainly doing a good job. The only problem is that on a 1080p laptop screen, you *almost* have no choice but to run AMD Trinity or discrete graphics because the Intel graphics is still quite slow at 1080p for anything more than vanilla desktop work and videos, even with the new Ivy Bridge chips.

Comment

Intel spells the end of Apple

Intel + Linux + Wayland (w/X in the interim atop) = the end of Apple on the desktop and the installing of the new king on the desktop, with Intel heading the pack.

Except Intel can't lose, because it worships a higher power - Linux. The only kind of worship at Apple is self-worship.

You read it here first.

Comment

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
              the Intel graphics is still quite slow at 1080p
              ????????
              ??????????????????

The only complaint I have about the HD4000 graphics in that i7 over there is that that desktop ain't mine.

bottom line is: if you are running linux there's absolutely no reason to have anything BUT intel graphics, it is plain stupid to buy graphic cards that are designed and built for windows games and d3d and are ill supported in linux.

Hey intel get some more people working on your open source driver and get'er up to speed with her windows counterpart... but as it stands right now all the ivy desktops here with h77, hd gfx have been a dream to work with (realtek proprietary driver notwithstanding)

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                ????????
                ??????????????????

The only complaint I have about the HD4000 graphics in that i7 over there is that that desktop ain't mine.

bottom line is: if you are running linux there's absolutely no reason to have anything BUT intel graphics, it is plain stupid to buy graphic cards that are designed and built for windows games and d3d and are ill supported in linux.

Hey intel get some more people working on your open source driver and get'er up to speed with her windows counterpart... but as it stands right now all the ivy desktops here with h77, hd gfx have been a dream to work with (realtek proprietary driver notwithstanding)
                You must be kidding or not gaming. HD4k isn't enough to run many games at 1080p, even WoW is about 30 FPS (on Windows) in non-raid conditions, which is too low if you are serious about raiding.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                  Looks like you doesn't follow for latest news: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE1MjI

Comment

Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
                    You must be kidding or not gaming. HD4k isn't enough to run many games at 1080p, even WoW is about 30 FPS (on Windows) in non-raid conditions, which is too low if you are serious about raiding.
                    To be honest; no... no, I haven't got a single game in that 3770. But I would gladly run any linux game just to invalidate your statement.

Are you kidding? HD4000 is more than able to run any linux game at HD res and if games like warsow/urbanterror/truecombat aren't running AT LEAST at 60 fps at HD I would eat each and every single one of my words.

I'm not into gaming but what is the most demanding linux game out there? doom3? if HD4k can't run doom3 at 1080 I'd stfu and never set foot here again.

I'm much more excited about intel's work in that new 2d acceleration sna.... frankly, I doubt that anyone running linux cares much about games

Comment

Originally posted by gQuigs View Post
                      Or you could get an ultra slim with Ubuntu preloaded - https://zareason.com/shop/UltraLap-430.html

Sorry, but my laptop is, with its lid closed, way thinner than that "ultra slim" without its lid.

Last edited by M1kkko; 05 August 2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: images

Comment

Working...
                      X