Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    As I've said for months, the stuff Valve has going on will make or break the Linux desktop for good. The stuff they have planned is really great.
    Sounds great Michael. Valve, with the collaboration of the others like INTEL (and maybe AMD), will bring Linux desktop to a new level... I can't wait to see all this become true!

Comment

Really! Need access to the L4D2 for AMD Open Source developers (Marek and Vadim too!!!).

Comment

Dear Valve,
        do the same with AMD and i will be more than happy to give you my money...

Comment

Originally posted by VeganProvolone View Post
          Dear Valve,
          do the same with AMD and i will be more than happy to give you my money...
          I guess Valve Linux Team will be happy to see developers from AMD in their office, if they decide to come.
          Same for nouveau developers.

Comment

Unless we are talking r300g, I think that the othere open driveres have way to much they already need to fix, implement and optimize that it would make much sence to start looking at optimizing for specefic games.

Comment

This sounds great, ofc.

On the other hand, the title is a bit misleading here IMHO.
              If they want to go get the intel GPUs into play - and Valve surely does - then they
              have to deal with an open-source driver. There is no other driver.

So let's hope we hear some news soon from Valve what ideas they have
              concerning the F/OSS radeon and nouveau drivers. TBH, I'm a bit sceptical here.
              There are far superior blob drivers by means of performance and
              significantly optimising the open drivers doesn't seem to be low-hanging grapes.
              To me it would be an unbelievable (and appreciated) move if they put huge efforts
              into the open drivers, when there's already something working where they can easily
              communicate (I guess so) with developers from NVidia and AMD. Just from a companies POV, ofc...
              Then again, we still don't know to full extent what Valve is really up to.

Comment

I am really excited to hear who they fly out next week to their offices!

Optimize unity3D or compiz perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
                  I guess Valve Linux Team will be happy to see developers from AMD in their office, if they decide to come.
                  Same for nouveau developers.
                  Well, who knows for Nouveau. At the moment, the real problem is power management and we are working on it. The maintainer will help me on this whenever he is done with the infrastructure work.

Anyway, what truly is needed is early access to the games in the future for all gallium devs.

Kudos to Valve.

Comment

Interesting to see that linux driver devs do whatever possible to run the source engine faster but ignore bugs you could find with much simpler tests (based on osg). i think nouveau can pass the test 4 already with some cards, other oss drivers do not. amd fixed at least the test 1 with hd 5670 with 12-4+. the bug was introduced with 11-12. of course the full source is available for osg and the little test tool. the source could alone does not lead to an immediate fix when nobody cares.

Comment

Originally posted by M?P?F View Post
                      Well, who knows for Nouveau. At the moment, the real problem is power management and we are working on it. The maintainer will help me on this whenever he is done with the infrastructure work.

Anyway, what truly is needed is early access to the games in the future for all gallium devs.

Kudos to Valve.
                      Hmm, playing the naive guy here; have you thought about approaching Valve+Nvidia after the Steam on Linux "thing" is official now?
                      Maybe there is a slight chance Valve can convince NVidia to provides som docs to you under at least NDA now.
                      I doubt this strange company will ever freely distribute it...

Comment

Working...
                      X