Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Phoronix: Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

As the latest Valve Linux news for today, Valve Software actually cares about open-source Linux graphics drivers. Last week they had the Intel OTC Linux graphics team out to Bellevue to jointly work on the OpenGL renderer for the Source Engine and the Intel Mesa driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is excellent! But what about the gallium3d(radeon, nouveau) camp?

Comment

AMD, it's your step now!

Comment

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
        AMD, it's your step now!
        A couldn't agree more =)

This news made me very excited! It's nice to see them working together, and both gaining from the work. Awesome!

Comment

Wow - this is brilliant. Flying out the people that you need to be working with, having access to the source code and speaking freely without secrets - sounds like a recipe for success.

Comment

This is the kind of things that makes me happy. I wish the best success to both team .

Originally posted by dogsleg View Post
            AMD, it's your step now!
            Keep dreaming

Comment

Originally posted by Vadi View Post
              Wow - this is brilliant.
              As I've said for months, the stuff Valve has going on will make or break the Linux desktop for good. The stuff they have planned is really great.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Gallium 3D have competition of binary blobs

When you play FPS you want to have most FPS out of your CPU and GPU. So binary blobs beats Gallium 3D drivers.

Though it would be greate if Valve team adopted cost-free approach here at least. Eg. making early builds available to Nouveau & Radeon teams.

On the other hand there is problem with AMD team, as they are focused on bringing 7xxx up to speed, so they would not have features to work on Since state of radeonsi is poor right now.

So it leaves nouveau team right now. Hmm. Any nouveau team member here? Would you benefit from coop with Valve (to bring perf improvements for L4D2 ?).

Comment

Makes sense that Valve is so interested in making their games work properly with Intel GPUs given that they're so prevalent, and this situation is likely to become even more pronounced in the future. Much better reaction than most PC game producers: "Our game works with every GPU... except the ones from Intel".

PS: Please please port Half Life

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                    This is excellent! But what about the gallium3d(radeon, nouveau) camp?
                    I think the work done on the intel driver usually migrates to all the drivers (g3d) eventually.

I hope that we will have news on the AMD front also. But i am not holding my breath on it.

Comment

Working...
                    X