Valve & Intel Work On Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Exactly. It was always about some hidden and secret optimizations in fglrx that allows it to perform better, so... with the access to Left4Dead source code they can optimize radeon open source driver to perform exactly like fglrx or even better, right?
    I think he's talking abot being time fo AMD to up the ante in respect to their open source drivers effort in general. Steam for Linux is coming, we know SteamBox is coming and AMD, who is already out of the high end CPU marked, and low end Andoid market cannot afford to stay out of another market, although I do not believe that they see it that way. I cheered for AMD for a long time, but they are always late to the game. By the time they realize that they need a good linux driver and that they have two that are suck, Intel will already have cought up in the integrated GPU performance (which is allmost there anyway) and be lightyears ahead in the driver department.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Isn't games-related performance issues already addressed by Unity 6.0 release?
      Yes, and that is already in Ubuntu 12.10. But it also needs a new compiz release (trunk has the fixes), which is coming soon. Some of the stuff may be backported to Ubuntu 12.04 later.

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      As I've said for months, the stuff Valve has going on will make or break the Linux desktop for good. The stuff they have planned is really great.
      Exactly. And this is why I don't want to hear any more people saying "stop with the useless posts, he just wants money, and no one cares about gaming anyway".
      Last edited by d2kx; 20 July 2012, 09:31 AM.

Comment

Exactly. It was always about some hidden and secret optimizations in fglrx that allows it to perform better, so... with the access to Left4Dead source code they can optimize radeon open source driver to perform exactly like fglrx or even better, right?
        There is no secret that make things fast, fast driver is the outcome of manythings but certainly not some secret things ....

Comment

Hm, they're working together with Intel and also already contacted Nouveau devs?

I wonder af they also got in contact with AMD or Radeon devs.

Comment

Well, it makes sense for them to support open source drivers.

Older hardware support. This is important when driver updates are only for those who have the latest graphic cards. This makes it harder to squash bugs, since it could be the drivers fault, and if the drivers aren't unified in version then it's a painful process to fix issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Figueiredo View Post
              I think he's talking abot being time fo AMD to up the ante in respect to their open source drivers effort in general.
              Yep, I meant that AMD have (actually _HAVE_) to participate. It's their turn in a game. Hey, bridgman, what AMD can show us?

But I also like kraftman's idea .

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                Exactly. And this is why I don't want to hear any more people saying "stop with the useless posts, he just wants money, and no one cares about gaming anyway".
                Gaming is the soul reason why most people own faster hardware. PERIOD! We could could all be using Pentium 200 Mhz MMX to do non media related tasks. The reason people own super fast computers today is because they either wanna watch a HD video or play a game. If you don't do either, and you're not a graphics artist of some sort, then you don't need a Quad core 3 Ghz CPU.

Gaming has been the driving force for hardware on the PC. Both Intel and AMD cater strongly to them. A lot of people that don't use Linux, do so because of the inability to play the latest games at max frames per second, with the exception of those who need to run specific applications.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  On the other hand, the title is a bit misleading here IMHO.
                  If they want to go get the intel GPUs into play - and Valve surely does - then they
                  have to deal with an open-source driver. There is no other driver.
                  I don't think you read the article attentively enough...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                    I don't think you read the article attentively enough...
                    Well, could be that I was too focused on the intel open-source driver while reading the article.
                    At the latest some post of this thread made clear Valve cares about all (relevant) F/OSS GPU drivers.

Comment

All these things Valve is doing is very exciting.

But it also kinda makes me kinda worried. Despite their enthusiasm, their work on Linux is still considered to be an investment. What if they don't get a lot of returns from this investment? There is no guarantee that people will be flocking to Linux after a few games get ported. What if despite all their work people still cling to windows and the revenue they get from Linux still ends up being too small?

I think if that were to happen, it would really kill game companies' support for Linux.

But I'm just being pessimistic here. Go Valve!

Comment

Working...
                      X