"the blorp engine"

Seriously, who names these things?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        "the blorp engine"

Seriously, who names these things?
        That would be Paul.
        Free Software Developer .:. Mesa and Xorg
        Opinions expressed in these forum posts are my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
          As far as I know, it's up to the application---you'd just go into your game's graphics setting screen and select what level of antialiasing you want. The OpenGL driver will simply do whatever it asks (assuming it's supported). I suppose we could add a driconf option to drop back to single sampling, but I'm not sure what the use of that would be.
          That's the point of the overrides, to enable things for apps that don't expose that. Less of a problem for FOSS apps but still a problem.

Please add a driconf option to force MSAA to a specific setting. Driconf already allows it to be in an env var, per-app, or always on, and so is the right place to put this toggle in. See the MLAA toggles for examples

Comment

Nouveau.

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            And as a user of another companies hardware I appreciated that.

On a similar vein, although this sounds pretty hardware specific, what is the chances of getting MSAA on Radeon and Nouveau? How much of this is Mesa and how much of this is drive side?
            Excuse me, but MSAA on nouveau has been implemented for almost a year now ...

(Note: you won't be able to use it with most applications because mesa doesn't support those hackish multisample visuals, you have to use FBOs / multisample renderbuffers)
            Last edited by calim; 19 July 2012, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by calim View Post
              Excuse me, but MSAA on nouveau has been implemented for almost a year now ...

(Note: you won't be able to use it with most applications because mesa doesn't support those hackish multisample visuals, you have to use FBOs / multisample renderbuffers)
              "It's there, but you can't use it with any actual app" equals not there for normal users, you know

Comment

Originally posted by Kayden View Post
                That would be Paul.
                May i ask what he was smoking at that point and more importantly is he willing to share?

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
                  Secondly, on Windows there's a very useful option to adjust the different color settings of the monitor directly through Intel's graphics control panel. This is useful for a notebook display, as it doesn't have the physical buttons to adjust RGB settings, so controlling it through the GPU is a good alternative. Is there a way to do something like this in Linux? If there's a way, I haven't found an easy solution yet.
                  You can adjust the gamma via xrandr or gnome color manager.

Comment

Forcing a MSAA level would be handy for playing old games that doesn't have the option and aren't being developed, looking at you UT.

Comment

Visuals.

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
                      Forcing a MSAA level would be handy for playing old games that doesn't have the option and aren't being developed, looking at you UT.
                      Forcing MSAA is the ugly hack I was talking about, for that mesa needs to implement multisample visuals first.

Comment

Working...
                      X