Intel Implements CMS MSAA For Ivy Bridge Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allquixotic isn't completely wrong

Even when you are using scalable graphics, it's somewhat common to have multiple versions for different sizes. You might have 1 version for when you want to show a lot of detail (high resolution) and another for lower resolutions, since scaling 1 image doesn't always look good without swapping them out when needed.

But obviously high ppi displays are going to be awesome.

Comment

Scalable assets will scale automatically.
      Bitmaps will have to be scaled in software or replaced
      In 3 years, I'll be sitting in front of a ~250ppi display. Pixels won't really matter anymore. I don't really care how it happens. It's not really on-topic, and I didn't mean to derail the thread.

Intel have been kicking some butt in the driver department lately. I look forward to their Haswell based offerings.

F

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        "High-DPI" displays will just make UIs tiny, unless they......... scale them back up to being larger (more px) which defeats the purpose. You can only squeeze so much stuff into a 15.6" space (or however much space you have). Now of course if you've got an 80" display then yeah a large resolution makes sense. But laptops aren't benefiting from this because people will just want their UI chrome and text scaled up.
        The point of higher PPIs aren't more space, it's the better quality image. AA is a dirty hack, with its own issues, used to solve an issue which need no longer be an issue. Sure, we may need to start redoing a lot of graphical work to be of higher quality, but it'll be totally worth it when we have better screens. Progess should not be halted just because it'll require more work.

P.S. Many of us came from high quality screens with higher resolutions, better image/colour quality and faster responce times in our CRT days. The 60hz 1080p cheap LCD standard has been an awful experience, and I'm glad the industry has finally seen the light.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
          P.S. Many of us came from high quality screens with higher resolutions, better image/colour quality and faster responce times in our CRT days. The 60hz 1080p cheap LCD standard has been an awful experience, and I'm glad the industry has finally seen the light.
          I agree. The neat thing about high-ppi displays is that they put us ahead of where we were 10 yeas ago, and not simply on-par. And that's the way it should be. I shouldn't notice that I'm looking at pixels. In 10 more years, I shouldn't notice that I'm looking at a display.

F

Comment

How about more details on what CMS MSAA is rather than talking about something totally unrelated? Technical details, how does it benefit traditional MSAA?

Comment

Working...
            X