Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
    It's just Intel, AMD, and Nvidia when it comes to GPUs and CPUs, right? Which Korean or Chinese company could you see entering the brawl?
    Don't forget VIA/HTC.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Well after owning an intel based i3 system for about a month now, I honestly can't understand how anyone can say the intel drivers are in great shape in linux. I've had more graphic corruption, misdraws, sync and video playback issues with the i3's graphics then I ever had with any nvidia card that I have owned.
      Same experience on Ironlake here (also: freezes with UXA acceleration (bugreport filled) and tearing with SNA). May anyone who recommend Intel hardware to people, tell me: driver for Ironlake GPU was always so bad, or this is result of regressions?

btw, h264 hardware decoding on Ironlake is slower then software.

Comment

It's just Intel, AMD, and Nvidia when it comes to GPUs and CPUs, right? Which Korean or Chinese company could you see entering the brawl?
        I thought we were heading for CPU GPU unification that will render GPUs obsolete.

Anyway i agree however that there is not enough competition.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
          Citation: google it.
          I did. Went on DuckDuckGo as well. Couldn't find anything pointing towards what you're saying, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Same experience on Ironlake here (also: freezes with UXA acceleration (bugreport filled) and tearing with SNA). May anyone who recommend Intel hardware to people, tell me: driver for Ironlake GPU was always so bad, or this is result of regressions?

btw, h264 hardware decoding on Ironlake is slower then software.
            Which brings me to another huge gripe with opendrivers, why the heck is there not a gui that lets you to change these options without having to revert to editing config files other then basic XRandR settings? It's papercuts like this that hold linux back and feed the trolls with ammo to dig at linux.

Comment

I did. Went on DuckDuckGo as well. Couldn't find anything pointing towards what you're saying, unfortunately.
              Because it's plain idiotic and he can't back it up by a single source.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                Which brings me to another huge gripe with opendrivers, why the heck is there not a gui that lets you to change these options without having to revert to editing config files other then basic XRandR settings? It's papercuts like this that hold linux back and feed the trolls with ammo to dig at linux.
                Wait... So when I go to Gnome settings --> screen settings.... That's not a GUI to XRandR?

I'm now thoroughly confused.

F

Comment

He means the Xorg options, and said that a GUI is only available for basic xrandr.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                    Wait... So when I go to Gnome settings --> screen settings.... That's not a GUI to XRandR?

I'm now thoroughly confused.

F
                    That is a GUI to XRandR. I said "other then basic XRandR settings?"

That being said there is Sax3, but it is still fairly limited so far as well. Old Sax2 you could set any setting under the sun.
                    Last edited by deanjo; 06 July 2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
                      These arent' intel parts, they're imageon, very similar to the powervr gpus found in many ARM socs. Avoid all of those like the plague.
                      Believe you mean "Imagination Technologies" (makers of PowerVR). The Imageon GPUs were originally developed by ATI.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X