Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    That is a GUI to XRandR. I said "other then basic XRandR settings?"

That being said there is Sax3, but it is still fairly limited so far as well. Old Sax2 you could set any setting under the sun.
    Hmmm, there might be a good reason for this. Constructing a GUI should be trivial.

1: get-function Enumerate devices, device properties, current settings. ( equiv of xrandr --properties --verbose )
    2: Define GUI elements and positioning
    3: Categorize properties into GUI element types (sliders, buttons, box)
    4: set function (equiv of xrandr set)

I'll see what my calendar looks like, but I'm willing to bet I could implement something usable faster than I could construct a beer can pyramid. I could also simply take the current GUI and add additional properties (gamma, brightness, etc) without getting into anything difficult (addmode/newmode).

What properties were you gents looking for?

F
    Last edited by russofris; 06 July 2012, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
      Constructing a guy should be trivial.
      Go ahead, Dr. Frankenstein!
      *SCNR*

1: get-function Enumerate devices, device properties, current settings. ( equiv of xrandr --properties --verbose )

I'll see what my calendar looks like, but I'm willing to bet I could implement something usable faster than I could construct a beer can pyramid. I could also simply take the current GUI and add additional properties (gamma, brightness, etc) without getting into anything difficult (addmode/newmode).
      F
      Sounds promising!

Comment

Hmmm, there might be a good reason for this. Constructing a GUI should be trivial.

What properties were you gents looking for?

F

Well what old Sax2 would do is query the various driver specific xorg options and give you the option of setting the various boolean / flags and then add that to the xorg.conf. Take it one step farther and upon relaunch of X to either accept the new settings or after a time out revert back to the previous configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
          Go ahead, Dr. Frankenstein!
          *SCNR*
          Sounds promising!
          s/guy/GUI (blame the auto spell checker)

No promises. It looks like a number of people have already done just this. Ultimately, it's likely that I'll just put an "advanced" button on the bottom of the generic screen settings and do a Win95'esque advanced-DP-window.

Right now I'm interested in finding if someone has already done this, looking at how far they got, and then finding why it hasn't been implemented. There may be a perfectly good reason why we don't have this already.

F

Comment

@deanjo

I highly doubt that you run your laptop with 24 fps that the missing 24000/1001 mode would change anything. It was known long before that you need ivb for that - or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              @deanjo

I highly doubt that you run your laptop with 24 fps that the missing 24000/1001 mode would change anything. It was known long before that you need ivb for that - or not?
              Ivb still does not support it and when a majority of your media is encoded as such you do notice it. Not a huge deal, but noticeable never the less. I don't watch feature length video on the laptop but it does prevent me from using an intel based video solution for the HTPC's.
              Last edited by deanjo; 06 July 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureSuture View Post
                It's just Intel, AMD, and Nvidia when it comes to GPUs and CPUs, right? Which Korean or Chinese company could you see entering the brawl?
                First my premise. All Asian countries are going to see an explosion of computer use and we are talking about a lot of people. Over a billion in each of China and India. Indonesia is in around 250M, Pakistan 200M, Bangladesh 145M, PI 95M etc, etc. That is a LOT of expansion of compute coming down the pipe. These are mostly people just starting to move up the food chain. Keep in mind the average wage in China is still just $3000/yr. So two things they are not going to need off the bat are $500 graphics cards and $50 Windows licenses. The big winner in this space will be smaller devices like phones, pads and nettops etc. And that is where the ball will start rolling and where I expect competition to start.

But at the end of the day people still need to get work done. They won't be able to afford monster computers in the beginning. But as North Americans have learned, up grading you existing device can be a cost effective way to get more life out of you equipment. Between that and programs like China's to roll out computers to school children there will easily be room for other players.

As for who, like most things in the far east it will likely be a consortium of companies that kick things off using a government contract to under write the initial expense. The first thing you need is a company that can design and fab some chip sets and provide reference designs. The two that come to mind first are Samsung and Taiwan Semiconductor but there are others. Then you combine them with a company like PC Partner and you are on your way. How much money is Samsung paying to license graphics power in it's phones, TVs etc. The economics on continuing to do that change as the market gets bigger. So the question is what are they missing? Engineers? No. Fab plants? No. Assembly? No. A market? Most certainly not. The only thing missing is a dysfunctional anti-competitive patent system. Which they really don't need.

Here is an article on PC Partner. http://computershopper.com/feature/i...n-100-pictures
                There are also lots of web sites like alibaba or made-in-China that are good starting places to see what companies are up to already. http://www.made-in-china.com/Compute...phic-Card.html

Comment

I have no idea what you guys are doing with Ironlake, I've never had any problems. No graphical glitches, Xv and VAAPI work great, no tearing. And I now also tried 1080p h264 video with vaapi.

Right now I'm typing this on a netbook woth GMA950. The performance of this thing sucks (can't even play Need for Speed 4 fluidly if all effects are turned on and set to max), but no glitches or tearing.

Comment

On a laptop with GMA X4500HD that I have, there are some problems with resolution (it's the non-standard laptop resolution, so it may be why), as it sometimes decides to not use the auto-detected values, and when I explicitly set it to use them again, KWin crashes. But other than that, it works fairly OK, and even has (an extremely small amount of) hardware acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      The problem as I said before with your algo is that immediately you need to know how many colors you'll end up picking. but pts_Graph won't know that until later on and if doing real-time changes you may end up needing more colors after the fact. The current implementation is also using HSL.
                      Is there no way you could redesign parts of PTS to know ahead or something?

I am not a good programmer, but how else would it be possible to make this color any better?
                      It looks horrible now, and there is no way to improve it?

Comment

Working...
                      X