Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
    GMA500 drivers for kernel 3.x.x are sadly lacking, the opensource driver in the kernel has a small subset of the features of the EMGD and IEGD drivers for 2.6
    These arent' intel parts, they're imageon, very similar to the powervr gpus found in many ARM socs. Avoid all of those like the plague.

Comment

Well after owning an intel based i3 system for about a month now, I honestly can't understand how anyone can say the intel drivers are in great shape in linux. I've had more graphic corruption, misdraws, sync and video playback issues with the i3's graphics then I ever had with any nvidia card that I have owned.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Well after owning an intel based i3 system for about a month now, I honestly can't understand how anyone can say the intel drivers are in great shape in linux. I've had more graphic corruption, misdraws, sync and video playback issues with the i3's graphics then I ever had with any nvidia card that I have owned.
        But they're open-source = better.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          But they're open-source = better.
          Lol, I have yet to find a way that they are.

Comment

vsync is a known problem with SandyBridge. The only way to get vsync is to use pageflipping which requires either a compositor that only pageflips (such as Wayland) or to use a DRI2 (vaapi, mesa) fullscreen, unredirected client to playback the videos/games. Or maybe there is a third way... And as with all compromises that solution is going to be greatly inferior to just using a windowing system created to support compositing.

However, corruption is unexpected, especially with drivers from the last 6 months or so. So if you want to get your issues resolved, please try to install the latest stable set of drivers (preferrably matching the upstream releases) and if the problem persists open a bug at bugs.freedesktop.org.

Comment

Please, every time someone post something like this post your distro and its version too. Thank you.
              Last edited by Redi44; 06 July 2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Redi44 View Post

Please, every time someone post something like this post your distro and its version too. Thank you.
                It has occurred in every distro that I have tried, opensuse 12.1/Tumbleweed/12.2 beta's, Gentoo, Arch, Kubuntu (Switched back to openSUSE 12.1 w Tumbleweed since is corrupts less.). In windows and OS X 86 the graphics work flawless. The desktop environment doesn't seem to matter either as it occurs in Gnome/lxde/KDE4 and even KDE3. Disabling compositing doesn't change anything either. I even swapped out the ram in the off chance it was causing the issue but alas that didn't improve anything with regards of graphic corruption (I'm not even talking corruption in a game or some other graphic intensive program, just the plain old desktop).

Overall I was expecting a far better experience then I am now. The only plus was that the laptop was relatively cheap but using it for day to day work in linux is completely out of the question with the graphics being as flaky as they are. Quite honestly they are as bad as Via's binary linux blobs for the nano.

Comment

Well your i3 is ironlake, this only support h264 via vaapi. Did you try using xbmc in fullscreen? Be sure that sna is not used, that usually causes problems. xv seems to be pretty bad with intel. I did not test my i5-680 lately because i am missing a h55 board, if somebody has got a spare one send it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well your i3 is ironlake, this only support h264 via vaapi.
                    Which is all I run for video files. The vsync isn't just with video however, even simple things like scrolling a web page shows visible tearing.

Did you try using xbmc in fullscreen?
                    Yep, it is less but not all gone, plus there is the annoying dup frame issue but that is a limitation of the decoder not being able to handle 24/1.001 properly and I don't expect that to be fixed.

Be sure that sna is not used, that usually causes problems.
                    It isn't but I tried it just to see what would happen, as expected the results we not all that great.

xv seems to be pretty bad with intel.
                    That it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
                      Linux can be heckled and belittled by NVidia and AMD. But I have no doubt at all that within the next 5 years some Chinese or Korean company is going to come out with a discreet graphics card that is going to have open source drivers and aim it right at the Linux market. The American based companies will stomp their feet and piss their pants while looking for the government to do some thing so that they don't have to compete. NVidia and AMD have gotten fat, lazy and stupid due to a lack of competition. But like every where else, competition is coming.
                      It's just Intel, AMD, and Nvidia when it comes to GPUs and CPUs, right? Which Korean or Chinese company could you see entering the brawl?

Comment

Working...
                      X