Intel Winning Over NVIDIA For Linux Enthusiasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nbecker View Post
    I've been trying to follow this because I'm looking for a new laptop (desktop replacement). Currently have 17" hp dv9000. I've used nvidia for years (blobs).

What should I look for in a laptop with Intel graphics that has:

good linux support
    performance sufficient for desktop effects, perhaps the occasional game (I'm not a gamer).

I'm not a gamer, but want something future-proof for 4-5 years.
    Just don't buy AMD graphics or make sure you can switch them off. I wouldn't buy Nvidia either, unless you really need very high graphics performance; not because they don't work but just because it's a waste of money (the binary blob is fine with pro 3D apps in my experience; I don't game). Desktop effects have been perfectly fluid with Intel graphics for years so it's a no brainer if you're going to do just mild gaming.

Intel's HD4000 is as future proof as you can get. They will stay open and provide excellent performance for low-end games.

Comment

First of all, I don't say things based on believes. Windows and most closed-source will extinct in 3-5 years, analysts say. 1)Small devices like tablets, phones, goggles, watches, will crash desktops and laptops, in less than 3 years estimation 70/30, and completely in 5 years. 2)Windows will have less than 30% on small devices, as analysts say and that will also decrease in 5 years. 3)The last stronghold/fortress of windows and closed-source "gaming" is also falling. I have laptops with all gpu-vendors and I play "blade_and_soul" full speed via WineHQ, and thats because all new graphics-machines are api-less. 4)My personal estimation is that many people will wake up in the next 5 years, when they understand that any one who uses windows is stupid, except if one is forced by his job.

Comment

I've been trying to follow this because I'm looking for a new laptop (desktop replacement). Currently have 17" hp dv9000. I've used nvidia for years (blobs).

good linux support
        performance sufficient for desktop effects, perhaps the occasional game (I'm not a gamer).

I have an i3 with HD 3000 and I'm perfectly content with it. I don't game on my machine much though.

Comment

good linux support

Use either Intel or AMD graphics. With the nVidia binary (the only official driver), I had always problems with external monitors etc. And oh, after ~10 years they finally support xrandr in their blob

Radeon has better/faster hardware than Intel at the moment, both have open drivers and are well integrated into the system. The limitation on heavy 3D gaming are not so much the drivers but MESA and lack of recent OpenGL support. For desktop usage the open drivers are just great, I can plug whatever I want into the laptop (and soon also USB GPU?!?), it just works... suspend to RAM, hibernation, never a black screen etc.

Comment

Originally posted by disi View Post
            Use either Intel or AMD graphics. With the nVidia binary (the only official driver), I had always problems with external monitors etc. And oh, after ~10 years they finally support xrandr in their blob

Radeon has better/faster hardware than Intel at the moment, both have open drivers and are well integrated into the system. The limitation on heavy 3D gaming are not so much the drivers but MESA and lack of recent OpenGL support. For desktop usage the open drivers are just great, I can plug whatever I want into the laptop (and soon also USB GPU?!?), it just works... suspend to RAM, hibernation, never a black screen etc.
            AFAIK, AMD open source graphics have serious issues with power, as well as suspend and hibernate (might work for you, might not work on other systems). I wouldn't advice anyone to go that route for a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post
              Windows and most closed-source will extinct in 3-5 years, analysts say.
              Citation needed.

This is pure nonsense.

Comment

GMA500 drivers please

GMA500 drivers for kernel 3.x.x are sadly lacking, the opensource driver in the kernel has a small subset of the features of the EMGD and IEGD drivers for 2.6

Comment

Intel should test the market for a discrete high performance GPU that could hold its own quite well against AMD and nvidia

Originally posted by Darkseider View Post
                  Well nVidia will eventually open up their drivers and gain wider acceptance or fade into obscurity in the linux landscape. Ultimately it is their choice.
                  All they need to do is support the Nouveau team with documentation along the lines of AMD. They could start by doing a review to determine what documentation that can be *legally* released then providing assistance to the Nouveau team based on that review.

In addition, more architectures can then be supported without too much fuss as the Nouveau driver can be built on multiple architectures including ARM and MIPS. This arrangement certainly won't overburden the nvidia engineers.

In the end nVidia can then earn back some respect and maybe get some GPU orders.
                  Last edited by DeepDayze; 06 July 2012, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleve Sicofante View Post
                    Citation needed.

This is pure nonsense.
                    Citation: google it.

Comment

Originally posted by speculatrix View Post
                      GMA500 drivers for kernel 3.x.x are sadly lacking, the opensource driver in the kernel has a small subset of the features of the EMGD and IEGD drivers for 2.6
                      The there should be a petition for PowerVR to provide at least the register and command documentation for their chips so then a proper GMA500 driver be built.

Comment

Working...
                      X