Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Puts New Haswell Code At Parity With Ivy Bridge

Phoronix: Intel Puts New Haswell Code At Parity With Ivy Bridge

Intel OTC has published a set of 21 new patches for "Haswell" hardware enablement of their graphics core with their open-source Linux driver. With this latest round of patches, Intel is already saying that the Haswell Linux graphics support is nearly on par with Ivy Bridge when it comes to the kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Excellent. I love this kind of transparency and honest effort by a company to contribute their code in an upcoming GPU. By the time Haswell arrives, there shouldn't be too many problems with running Linux on it from day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
      Excellent. I love this kind of transparency and honest effort by a company to contribute their code in an upcoming GPU. By the time Haswell arrives, there shouldn't be too many problems with running Linux on it from day 1.
      I agree with this 100%.

I love the transparency and early pushing of the latest development code.
      I look forwards to Haswell!

Comment

I can only agree here. I am impressed by Intel's open source contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by 1c3d0g View Post
          By the time Haswell arrives, there shouldn't be too many problems with running Linux on it from day 1.
          Thanks guys, I really hope so .

Comment

Originally posted by eugeni_dodonov View Post
            I'd like to see Haswell support in coreboot.
            That would be awesome.

Comment

credit where its due eugeni and you guys are doing good work lately getting your initial code in early and leaving a reasonable amount of time to optimize each section before the hordes need it

id like to see a little more routine benching on patches before/after and these results posted in a central place and we could do with a lower level Encode/decode API than the quick sync http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ht=#post271074

perhaps one of you guys can poke and get that high ranking Intel guy that specially write that lower level API and code patches for x264/ffmpeg/avconv code-base's for generic cross platform use, what was his name ..... Francois Piednoel , Senior Performance analyst at Intel Corp to actually finally submit his floss x264 API/patches work to the ffmpeg/x264 dev channels so we can all start using it for high quality video hardware assisted Encoding/decoding once the AV devs have got it into shape, assuming it actually exists and works OC.
              Last edited by popper; 30 June 2012, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I'm very happy to her this also, this is very good for Intel in the long run.

However what's up with this: " maybe providing some level of OpenCL support, etc. ". OpenCL is like mothers milk, you can't ignore it if you want to grow the platform. Seriously guys if you put half the effort into OpenCL that AMD does, I wouldn't be looking at AMD at all for my next machine. For some of us that GPU means more that just pretty pictures.

Now all of the above is a point of view on one issue. I'm otherwise very pleased to see Intel running with the idea of open and higher quality graphics drivers. So do keep up the good work, just realize that things like OpenCL are important to a wide class of users.
                Last edited by wizard69; 30 June 2012, 05:24 PM. Reason: Well fixed at least one typo! Love that silly auto correct.

Comment

I too would love to see Intel become friendlier towards Coreboot and share stuff so Coreboot can support Intel parts.

Comment

Working...
                  X