X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
    Well obviously not on sparc or arm or so. But it would be interesting to see if the generated binaries would also be faster on AMD hardware.
    You've been under a rock perhaps? The binaries by ICC will suck on AMD, VIA and anything else non-Intel x86. See Agner's site for insightful explanations, including benchmarks where he changes his Via to introduce as Intel.

Leave a comment:

• AnonymousCoward
    replied
    Originally posted by kiputnik View Post
    SOn some hardware due to PGO you can get ridiculously high speedups; Michael, why are you consistently ignoring this great (and free!) optimization?
    How is PGO free if you have to recompile your application after running it with a representative load (and finding that in the first place)?

Leave a comment:

• China_Guy
    replied
    Indeed nice article. Any chance of also testing the intel c/c++ compiler?
    Intel C++ Compiler mostly is best optimized Compiler on planet in Intel platform, but it is proprietary and close source. GCC is on second place immediately, Only subordinate to Intel C++.

Regarding Clang??? Crappy clang has always been stupid rubbish shit!!!
    Last edited by China_Guy; 30 May 2012, 11:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kiputnik
    replied
    So, when are we finally going to see some PGO benchmarks? On some hardware due to PGO you can get ridiculously high speedups; Michael, why are you consistently ignoring this great (and free!) optimization?

Leave a comment:

• Wilfred
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    Only on Intel, remember.
    Well obviously not on sparc or arm or so. But it would be interesting to see if the generated binaries would also be faster on AMD hardware.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Ah, pity, but thanks for the answer. I keep hearing stories that supposedly the intel compiler is 20 to 30% faster than gcc.
    Only on Intel, remember.

Leave a comment:

• Wilfred
    replied
    Originally posted by Michael View Post
    No, I don't have a license and I believe they have some publishing restrictions on it...
    Ah, pity, but thanks for the answer. I keep hearing stories that supposedly the intel compiler is 20 to 30% faster than gcc.

Leave a comment:

• uid313
    replied
    Throw in PCC?

Throw in Portable C Compiler (PCC) ?

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied

No, I don't have a license and I believe they have some publishing restrictions on it...

Leave a comment:

• lem79
    replied
    If this happens, include some AMD CPUs in the testing for reference..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X