Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11-Way Intel Ivy Bridge Compiler Comparison

Phoronix: 11-Way Intel Ivy Bridge Compiler Comparison

From an Intel Core i7 3770K "Ivy Bridge" system here is an 11-way compiler comparison to look at the performance of these popular code compilers on the latest-generation Intel hardware. Among the compilers being compared on Intel's Ivy Bridge platform are multiple releases of GCC, LLVM/Clang, DragonEgg, PathScale EKOPath, and Open64.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for this article. Nice comparison and the summary was spot on and not biased towards LLVM, which is great to see.

Comment

Indeed nice article. Any chance of also testing the intel c/c++ compiler?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
        If this happens, include some AMD CPUs in the testing for reference..

Comment

No, I don't have a license and I believe they have some publishing restrictions on it...
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Throw in PCC?

Throw in Portable C Compiler (PCC) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              No, I don't have a license and I believe they have some publishing restrictions on it...
              Ah, pity, but thanks for the answer. I keep hearing stories that supposedly the intel compiler is 20 to 30% faster than gcc.

Comment

Ah, pity, but thanks for the answer. I keep hearing stories that supposedly the intel compiler is 20 to 30% faster than gcc.
                Only on Intel, remember.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  Only on Intel, remember.
                  Well obviously not on sparc or arm or so. But it would be interesting to see if the generated binaries would also be faster on AMD hardware.

Comment

So, when are we finally going to see some PGO benchmarks? On some hardware due to PGO you can get ridiculously high speedups; Michael, why are you consistently ignoring this great (and free!) optimization?

Comment

Working...
                    X