Intel Ivy Bridge - Linux: GL 3.0, Windows: GL 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
    ... or at AMD and perhaps even NVIDIA as well. It would be nice to see AMD double its Linux team and expand their development to more driver-generic Mesa stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think the current team is awesome, but they sure could use more resources.
    I kinda just realized this now, but I don't think AMD will even attempt to do that because they've got bigger issues to worry about. AMD's recent decision to REALLY support linux has happened at a pretty inconvenient time for them. I'm sure if they put as much effort as they have now about 4 years ago, they wouldn't be struggling this hard to catch up.

AMD needs to hurry up and release Trinity, because at this point, I feel like that's their only hope in staying in the CPU market. I feel like if they ditched their CPU branding and went only GPU, they'd probably beat nvidia every year.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      AMD's recent decision to REALLY support linux has happened at a pretty inconvenient time for them.
      Hmm? In "REALLY" you mean catalyst catching up or radeon program?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        Hmm? In "REALLY" you mean catalyst catching up or radeon program?
        Actually, I was saying specifically they weren't catching up. My point was by the time AMD finally legitimately cared about linux, they started to not do so great with their other products, so in turn they don't have the time or resources to care about a minority when they have bigger problems to solve.

Comment

On the other hand, Windows driver for Intel is horribly bugged.
          1) It locks up machine on some graphic operations
          2) It locks up machine if I try to update it using windows update.
          3) It haves troubles with power management so it locks up machine on powersave enter/exit.
          4) It so crapwrecked that Firefox blacklists it for WebGL and developer's 3D page view.

So it would lock up in week of uptime (or even faster if I enable DPMS powersave). On other hand, I have no trouble to get 2 month of uptime with Linux driver and it's both quite fast and Firefox can use it for webGL and 3D page views. So in fact I like Linux version of driver more. In fact it's very good driver. Though sure, there is room to grow.

Comment

Working...
          X