Intel Gallium3D For Mesa 8.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    The Gallium state trackers are cross-platform, but I suspect the i915g driver itself is highly linux specific. I know the other gallium drivers are. They have to do lots of interfacing with the kernel, so it would only work on windows if someone went to a lot of effort to make it that way - and even if that happened I can't imagine it would receive much testing or maintenance, because it doesn't seem like there's much of a reason to use it.
    This is for using softpipe with LLVM, I'm not looking into using the specific intel driver on Windows.

allquixotic: Regarding the "Just use Linux instead", I don't know quite how to respond. The statement is just so inherently idiotic that it frustrates me, yet baffles me. You must live in a very narrow world. If it was a joke, then I'm sorry I took it so seriously, I just missed your smiley at the end. But I digress...

All you other helpful and intelligent people: The reason I want to use Mesa in Windows (like they say, it's cross plattform, why not use it across platforms?) is that we use Windows 7 at work. And we develop a program that is targeted for Windows 7, 64 bit. It won't get rewritten for Linux (sadly), so right now I/we live with what we have. So, the problem we are trying to solve is that when we use remote desktop (when working from home, because of sick kids, etc) accelerated OpenGL doesn't work. The windows are just go black. And OpenGL is crucial in our software.
    By using the Mesa softpipe driver, the software acceleration works as it should, but with about 2 FPS. When using LLVM, we've seen performance around 11 FPS, which is actually a useful program in this case. 2 FPS isn't. But the problem is that I can't get it to build properly in 64 bit with LLVM, so I asked for help regarding that.
    Last edited by Azpegath; 07 February 2012, 05:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
      "Gallium not better that DRI in any benchmark"?

It's half the FPS! I'd say that your choice of words was a little bit too conservative...
      That it's half the framerate doesn't even matter, seeing as the GPU can't reach a playable framerate with either driver.

I say more power to the i915g driver devs, if Intel driver devs finally move over to Gallium3D there will be more manpower available to get a faster turn around time on new features for all of the G3D drivers.

We all want tear free GPU accelerated video for VP8 and H.264, OpenCL1.2, OpenGL4.2, MSAA etc. via OSS drivers, we all want it to just damn work "out of the box" and we want it to not take 10 long years to get to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
        That it's half the framerate doesn't even matter, seeing as the GPU can't reach a playable framerate with either driver.
        I say more power to the i915g driver devs, if Intel driver devs finally move over to Gallium3D there will be more manpower available to get a faster turn around time on new features for all of the G3D drivers.
        We all want tear free GPU accelerated video for VP8 and H.264, OpenCL1.2, OpenGL4.2, MSAA etc. via OSS drivers, we all want it to just damn work "out of the box" and we want it to not take 10 long years to get to that point.
        I agree, I think the devs rock! But I was merely referring to Michael's choice of words =)

Comment

Working...
        X