Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Gallium3D Intel 965 Driver Gets Dropped

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Gallium3D Intel 965 Driver Gets Dropped

    Phoronix: The Gallium3D Intel 965 Driver Gets Dropped

    The Mesa Gallium3D driver for the Intel 965 IGP series and newer (the "i965g" driver) has been deleted from mainline Mesa...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTAyMTA

  • #2
    Does someone know what the politics are behind Intel not wanting Gallium3D to succeed? Seems kinda weird to me that they don't want to support what is clearly the future of the Linux graphics stack.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      Does someone know what the politics are behind Intel not wanting Gallium3D to succeed? Seems kinda weird to me that they don't want to support what is clearly the future of the Linux graphics stack.
      They feel they've made a large investment in their classic Mesa drivers, and that g3d wouldn't offer an advantage significant enough to justify the major overhaul.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DanL View Post
        They feel they've made a large investment in their classic Mesa drivers, and that g3d wouldn't offer an advantage significant enough to justify the major overhaul.
        Thankfully a lot of the work that intel has been doing also benefits G3D as well. The work that they have put into the front-end compiler and other parts are shared between classic and gallium.

        Yes, it would be great if Intel decided to use G3D for future hardware, but my guess is that they won't do that until the rest of Mesa catches up with GL 4.x features and they can free development resources for a driver re-write.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DanL View Post
          They feel they've made a large investment in their classic Mesa drivers, and that g3d wouldn't offer an advantage significant enough to justify the major overhaul.
          which is a driver that has been recently rewritten to support their glsl stuff

          Comment


          • #6
            They currently have to get OpenGL 3 support out on time (though I doubt it'll be ready by December 31). Gallium3D does not have a high priority.
            Last edited by AlbertP; 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't care whether intel supports gallium or not right now. So far in my experience intel's mesa drivers have been the least problematic drivers I've used on linux.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Does someone know what the politics are behind Intel not wanting Gallium3D to succeed? Seems kinda weird to me that they don't want to support what is clearly the future of the Linux graphics stack.
                Whoa there. You're mixing a lot of stuff together. Because Intel hasn't rewritten their 3D driver on top of Gallium3D definitely doesn't mean that they don't want Gallium3D to succeed.

                Comment


                • #9
                  fucking Intel

                  Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
                  I don't care whether intel supports gallium or not right now. So far in my experience intel's mesa drivers have been the least problematic drivers I've used on linux.
                  ...while controlling the least useful graphics hardware

                  Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
                  Whoa there. You're mixing a lot of stuff together. Because Intel hasn't rewritten their 3D driver on top of Gallium3D definitely doesn't mean that they don't want Gallium3D to succeed.
                  yeah, i just tried to imagine Intel programmers, sitting around like a bunch of Care Bears, caring, desiring, wanting Gallium3D to "succeed", whatever that means, praising it, screaming: "Go, Go, Gallium!". it was so touching, a tear came down over my cheek.
                  but then i remembered that Intel don't give much fuck about collaborative efforts and most of its developers are too busy reinventing bicycles in industrial quantities.

                  it's fucking interesting how a company can be so pro-FreeSoftware but so uncooperative at the same time. but again, it's the same company that is behind x86-architecture and quite a bunch of standards used in it which it itself can't follow most of the time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With Mesa dropping so much old cruft, it wouldn't surprise me if classic Mesa will be removed in some years. And then Intel has to work on Gallium3D drivers.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X