Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intel Poulsbo Open Driver TODO/Support List

Phoronix: The Intel Poulsbo Open Driver TODO/Support List

For those wondering what functionality is supported by Intel's open-source GMA500/GMA600 "Poulsbo" DRM driver, here's a list of what works and also what doesn't function...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fedora?

So, is there a mainline kernel version yet which includes enabled/working support for this chipset? ie, Will this make it into Fedora 16, or do I need to wait for 17 to try installing on my netbook?

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
      So, is there a mainline kernel version yet which includes enabled/working support for this chipset? ie, Will this make it into Fedora 16, or do I need to wait for 17 to try installing on my netbook?
      I just tried installing fedora 16 lxde. The live disk didn't make it into desktop. Then I tried OpenSUSE lxde and it worked out of the box with psb_gfx module. Fedora 16 should work out of the box too, I didn't look closer into why it didn't. I think it' should work with all >2.39 kernels.
      Acer GMA 500 netbook. Backlight control doesn't seem to work though.

I wish you good luck, since it's the thing that you need with GMA 500 .

Comment

Originally posted by semhustej View Post
        I wish you good luck, since it's the thing that you need with GMA 500 .
        Heh, yeah, I bought a sweet (and very expensive) Toughbook back in 2008, which ended up spending it's useful life sitting in a box because I never had time to sort all this crap out ( http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=201018 ).

These days, my smartphone does everything I wanted from that hardware, so I don't even really care at this point. I'm hoping to at least bring it back to life and maybe someday use the thing as a robot controller or something.

Comment

It is possible to use a GMA500 with EMGD, but not easily

There is a great bunch of Ubuntu devs who continually shoe horn the EMGD driver into each new version. I have a Dell Mini 12 running Xubuntu Oneiric. They do this by setting up a PPA that downgrades xorg and adds EMGD so that you end up with a fully functional system - to a point. I have xv and 3d acceleration and I have suspend and resume. The keyboard keys are functional and I can adjust screen brightness. Gnome-Shell will not work, but Xfce on such a low specced machine works very well - even the Xfce built in composting effects. I had to use a text based installer to get the basic system installed then work on the video.

For anyone who wants to actually make a working system look here....

This work is also ported to Arch. For other distros - bad luck. It might be possible to use the PPA for a Debian Wheezy install but you would need to be dedicated.
          Last edited by grege; 24 November 2011, 07:29 PM.

Comment

Backlight and suspend/resume and native resolution... That would be incredibly awesome. I wonder what configuration the post meant... Is there a configuration file, or does that mean recompiling your own kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Backlight and suspend/resume and native resolution... That would be incredibly awesome. I wonder what configuration the post meant... Is there a configuration file, or does that mean recompiling your own kernel?
              I believe that "if you configure it" means configuring and then compiling your own kernel.

I have written some instructions on the Fedora Project wiki for building a kernel with this driver in Fedora 16.

Comment

There is a psb-glx PPA for Ubuntu

Instructions here, no kernel compiling necessary.

The EMGD aproach is way better for now, but the psb-glx driver is available if all you want is the absolute basic setup.

Once it is in the mainline kernel and the distros catch up the psb-glx driver should just work out of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by grege View Post
                  Instructions here, no kernel compiling necessary.

Thanks for pointing this out. Maybe I can set up a similar configuration for Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                  X