Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel AES-NI For Ubuntu Home Encryption

Phoronix: Intel AES-NI For Ubuntu Home Encryption

Supported by modern Intel processors is the AES instruction set, which is designed to improve the speed of encryption and decryption on the CPU for AES, the Advanced Encryption Standard. Under Ubuntu Linux, even for supported hardware, the Intel AES-NI capability is not taken advantage of when enabling its data encryption feature. The Intel AES-NI support can be easily enabled, but what is the impact on performance? Here are some benchmarks.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That session of benchmarks will be interesting in comparison with Bulldozer CPU from AMD when it come out, after a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by rewind View Post
      That session of benchmarks will be interesting in comparison with Bulldozer CPU from AMD when it come out, after a week or so.
      That's assuming AMD was even to send out a Bulldozer to Phoronix...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Well, they sent one here, but it's too early I guess /NDA/.

Comment

Most of the benchmarks show AES-NI underperforming while Michael says that AES-NI outperformed the stock configuration. Did Michael make a mistake on the graphs?

Comment

Maybe it's not AES-NI but ecryptfs. Perhaps loop-aes could be tested?

Via HW in comparison would be interesting too, but I don't know if ecryptfs supports padlock.

Comment

Just loaded AES-NI my laptop is one of the 2630qm i7's that don't support it in the BIOS

Grr

Luckily I don't encrypt much

Comment

Working...
              X