Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Why do they claim DX11 then?
    According to the official specification, Cantiga/Eaglelake supports DX10. DX11 support is introduced with Ivy Bridge.

Perhaps Microsoft have written some software fallbacks to run DX11 programs on DX10 hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
      G45 aka Eaglelake/Cantiga supports up to OpenGL 2.1 in hardware. You won't get OpenGL 3.0 on this.

Sandy Bridge was the first Intel chipset to support OpenGL 3.1 in hardware. OpenGL 3.2 at Intel will come in 2013 with the release of the Haswell CPU. Yet-to-be-released Ivy Bridge still supports OpenGL 3.1 only.
      That's wrong. Ivy Bridge supports DX11 and GL4 in hardware. What you may be referring to is that the Windows OpenGL driver only supports OpenGL 3.1, but that has everything to do with how much effort Intel has put into that driver, and nothing to do with the actual hardware. Sandy Bridge can support the full GL 3.3 as well. I'm not sure about some of their older chips, but I think the G45 is also capable of 3.3.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        That's wrong. Ivy Bridge supports DX11 and GL4 in hardware. What you may be referring to is that the Windows OpenGL driver only supports OpenGL 3.1, but that has everything to do with how much effort Intel has put into that driver, and nothing to do with the actual hardware. Sandy Bridge can support the full GL 3.3 as well. I'm not sure about some of their older chips, but I think the G45 is also capable of 3.3.
        Yup. Sucks, too. Some Intel IGPs that run full DX10 often only support GL2.0 because Intel hates puppies, kittens, bunnies, and ducklings. Not that OpenGL is used much of anywhere in the first place, but it's just one of the many reasons why anyone outside of spreadsheet-addicted business users are strongly urged to get an NVIDIA or AMD GPU.

Comment

It seems like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA does not contain the hardware support for GL / DX, but the highest version supported by the drivers.

And it was that page where I got my info about GL & DX support.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertP View Post
            It seems like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA does not contain the hardware support for GL / DX, but the highest version supported by the drivers.

And it was that page where I got my info about GL & DX support.
            That was my guess. Intel support for OpenGL has always been a complete joke on Windows which is one of the main reasons projects like Chrome/Firefox are translating all their GL calls into Direct3D there, and OSX/Linux are both still stuck in GL 2 land.

There's no reason the support can't be added, though, and the Intel Mesa devs have said they plan to add full GL3.3 support to all the current hardware and that they haven't run into any issues that would cause them to think it won't happen.

Comment

Que the Intel Windows GL team saying "Quit it" and just porting the much-better linux driver from there on :P

Comment

Anyone know the patent # for this texture patent everyone is talking about and who owns it?

Comment

I think you've posted in the wrong topic. Didn't you want to post it on this topic: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...ght-Be-Invalid?

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
                    Anyone know the patent # for this texture patent everyone is talking about and who owns it?
                    Don't know the number, but HTC owns it.

Comment

I was talking about the HDR floating point texture thing or whatever it is, not the s3tc patent.

Comment

Working...
                      X