No announcement yet.

Intel Sandy Bridge Speeds Up On Linux 3.1 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dayum thats a nice performance boost. the current SB video drivers were already good and comparable or better than the windows drivers but now they probably outperform windows in all tests at this point.

i'm not an owner of SB but i'm glad to hear the awesome work being done.

Comment

1) There is no OpenGL 3.4. Newest is OpenGL 3.3 for 3.x line and OpenGL 4.1 for OpenGL 4.x line.
      2) SNB support DX10.1, it should support OpenGL 3.2 at least (as AMD/Nvidia gpus that support one support the other)
      3) IvyBridge will support DX11, and OpenGL 3.1! This is something wrong. Also some Intel roadmaps indicate that OpenGL will be updated just by one incrementation at a time (so next will have 3.1, than 3.2 ...)

So I wander if it is just Intel policy to not to have OpenGL drivers under MacOSX/Win, or is it some real hwd limitation. And how devs sponsored by Intel will behave when mesa will aproach OpenGL 3.x (will they add more OpenGL, even though Win/Mac version will not support newer OpenGL?)
      Last edited by przemoli; 04 August 2011, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        1) There is no OpenGL 3.4. Newest is OpenGL 3.3 for 3.x line and OpenGL 4.1 for OpenGL 4.x line.
        Doh. I always make that mistake, thinking there are 4 GL 3 versions, but it's 3.0 - 3.3, not 3.4.
        2) SNB support DX10.1, it should support OpenGL 3.2 at least (as AMD/Nvidia gpus that support one support the other)
        3) IvyBridge will support DX11, and OpenGL 3.1! This is something wrong. Also some Intel roadmaps indicate that OpenGL will be updated just by one incrementation at a time (so next will have 3.1, than 3.2 ...)
        It's not a hardware limitation, it's just the fact that Intel considers OpenGL support on Windows to be an afterthought. I'm sure the 3.1 support mentioned is just because that's what their current drivers support.

So I wander if it is just Intel policy to not to have OpenGL drivers under MacOSX/Win, or is it some real hwd limitation. And how devs sponsored by Intel will behave when mesa will aproach OpenGL 3.x (will they add more OpenGL, even though Win/Mac version will not support newer OpenGL?)
        The Intel Windows drivers have always been "challenged". Direct3D support was sketchy at best, and OpenGL support was almost non-existent. They've made a big push in the last year or so to try and get the drivers to a much higher quality, and i think some of that effort is starting to bleed over into OpenGL, but they've still got a long ways to go. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Intel developers targeting OpenGL on Windows - they'll all be using Direct3D and either ignoring Mac/Linux or providing another option to use OpenGL on those platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
          Intel linux drivers have pretty much always had better OpenGL support than the windows one. Example: 3150 does GL 2 on linux, 1.5 on windows.

Comment

Anyone know any ubuntu ppa for latest intel driver with the latest sandy bridge support, kernel 3.1, and the a recent mesa?

My ubuntu natty is getting fairly outdated, but I've grabbed kernel 3.0 and the intel driver from http://ppa.launchpad.net/glasen/intel-driver/ubuntu which helps a LOT. I wouldn't mind trying kernel 3.1 along with a fairly recent mesa deb either though.

(note, yes I know I can compile this by hand. And I have more than enough experience to do so, however, I don't have enough time to play around with it. So a ppa/deb is a lot cleaner, and a lot faster to try out).

Comment

Originally posted by neuron View Post
              Anyone know any ubuntu ppa for latest intel driver with the latest sandy bridge support, kernel 3.1, and the a recent mesa?

My ubuntu natty is getting fairly outdated, but I've grabbed kernel 3.0 and the intel driver from http://ppa.launchpad.net/glasen/intel-driver/ubuntu which helps a LOT. I wouldn't mind trying kernel 3.1 along with a fairly recent mesa deb either though.

(note, yes I know I can compile this by hand. And I have more than enough experience to do so, however, I don't have enough time to play around with it. So a ppa/deb is a lot cleaner, and a lot faster to try out).

Same here. I would like to just try out 3.0 or 3.1 with the latest drivers without the setup nightmare.

Comment

Am I the only one that noticed that the numbers in Warsow are lower than the numbers in the SNA benchmark last month?

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think this is a regression.

Originally posted by Upperator View Post
                Same here. I would like to just try out 3.0 or 3.1 with the latest drivers without the setup nightmare.
                You should try Gentoo Linux. It makes this sort of thing easy.

Comment

Working...
                X