No announcement yet.

Intel's Gallium3D Driver After Google's Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm putting on a hat just so I can take it off for marcheu. That's some pretty impressive progress already!

Comment

Originally posted by marcheu View Post
      The features are the same as the classic driver except that I need good performance (for 3D, but also for texture streaming and the like). If you look at the recent i915g changes they have been performance-focused, and that's where I'm going to take this driver.
      thanks (for the reply and the codes)

are you by any chance planning to work on the i965 also??

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        thanks (for the reply and the codes)

are you by any chance planning to work on the i965 also??
        Sorry I can't discuss future plans...

Comment

Why publish something 5 days old? It doesn't make sense.
          Because one can make two articles that way.

Comment

Benchmark and opengl features

So....

One problem that makes it hard to sometimes to grok game benchmarks is that different drivers might have different opengl features enabled (glxinfo). A quick comparison tool would be a list of differences of the reported glxinfo. I guess it's harder to compare what features games enabled, but they often do output a log.

if some opengl feature is available in driver A and not B, does the game use those features to produce better, but sometimes slower graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              Because one can make two articles that way.
              It makes me agree to read such stuff all the time here in this forum. We live all (or most of the readers here) in a capitalistic world, as long as this is true, most of us, live under direct fear of homelessness.

Yes some of us feal maybe save from this, but thats an illusion. At least here in Germany you get your money from the social system by good will from the public officials. They make often mistakes and maybe force you into work that you are not willing to do.

So when you want something today, there are a few ways today. 1. you pay directly for it 2. you make it by yourself 3. someone makes money with advertisement or something like that.

So even if the phoronix authors (or is it only one guy?) are not perfekt they invest much time for stuff most of us are interessted. I dont know other sites that invest so much time to get X and Kernel tests and news out. If you know sites that do this job better give me a hint about it.

But blaming somebody for making somehow money in a very customerfriendly way pisses me off.

I am for basic income grant, so that we stop with poorness in the western world at least, and also on the other countrys. But as long this is not there it is not fair to critisise someone to make money by helping people with free information.

To the intel driver, is there hope that over gallium the intel hardware especialy the tested samsung nc10 could maybe play 720p vides without problems? The old mesa plays only dia show at that resulition.
              Last edited by blackiwid; 07 July 2011, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                It makes me agree to read such stuff all the time here in this forum. We live all (or most of the readers here) in a capitalistic world, as long as this is true, most of us, live under direct fear of homelessness.

Yes some of us feal maybe save from this, but thats an illusion. At least here in Germany you get your money from the social system by good will from the public officials. They make often mistakes and maybe force you into work that you are not willing to do.

So when you want something today, there are a few ways today. 1. you pay directly for it 2. you make it by yourself 3. someone makes money with advertisement or something like that.

So even if the phoronix authors (or is it only one guy?) are not perfekt they invest much time for stuff most of us are interessted. I dont know other sites that invest so much time to get X and Kernel tests and news out. If you know sites that do this job better give me a hint about it.

But blaming somebody for making somehow money in a very customerfriendly way pisses me off.

I am for basic income grant, so that we stop with poorness in the western world at least, and also on the other countrys. But as long this is not there it is not fair to critisise someone to make money by helping people with free information.

To the intel driver, is there hope that over gallium the intel hardware especialy the tested samsung nc10 could maybe play 720p vides without problems? The old mesa plays only dia show at that resulition.
                What player and options are you using? I could try with i915g and fix it if it's slow.

Comment

For those wondering about five-day-old-benchmarks... it's because I had to get them done in advance and build up a publishing queue in advance as I was away for 3~4 days due to needing to meet with some of Valve contacts in Washington, as mentioned on my Twitter feed.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm primarily interested in seeing Intel chips move to Gallium due to the abundance of useful state trackers that are in development. Once Clover, OpenVG and the GL3 state tracker start to mature, being able to run them on my 965GM (with features not supported by the hardware running through optimized LLVM bytecode) would be very nice. No Can Do with i965c though, and i965g isn't really being worked on. i915 users should consider themselves lucky to get this nice boost despite the hardware being really, really ancient (even my 965GM is old, and it isn't getting that degree of work).

Now, if only Google would find a reason to productize a system using a Radeon R600 - R800 class GPU, and find occasion to either pour money into AMD's open source crew, or hire developers of their own to work on r600g...

Comment

What player and options are you using? I could try with i915g and fix it if it's slow.
                      I use the latest ubuntu with the default movie player (totem), I also tried VLC no better result.

I try to play 720p movies with x264 codec.

I would be very happy if there is a way to play this on the nc10.

thanx for trying to get that working

I did not change any settings btw.

Comment

Working...
                      X